Jan 20, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
It’s hard not to notice how well Lightning captain Martin St. Louis has played lately.
In his past eight games, he has eight goals and four assists including his four-goal game against San Jose on Saturday. That run of great play also coincides with him being omitted from Team Canada’s roster for the Olympics.
St. Louis tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times one doesn’t have to do with the other.
“I wouldn’t say that I’m motivated more now,” he said. “That’s far from the truth.”
“I don’t think I’m playing 10 times better now,” he said. “I played some pretty good hockey before then.”
That’s a fact. Prior to his hot play of late, St. Louis had 38 points in 42 games. Now he’s on a point-per-game pace with 50 points in 50 games and leading the Lightning in scoring. Those stats make leaving him off the Canadian roster all the more head-scratching, especially with his own GM, Steve Yzerman, picking the Canadian team.
With Steven Stamkos‘ return on the horizon and Tampa Bay tied with Boston atop the Atlantic Division, making a run at the Stanley Cup makes for a decent backup prize.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)