Jan 20, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
It’s hard not to notice how well Lightning captain Martin St. Louis has played lately.
In his past eight games, he has eight goals and four assists including his four-goal game against San Jose on Saturday. That run of great play also coincides with him being omitted from Team Canada’s roster for the Olympics.
St. Louis tells Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times one doesn’t have to do with the other.
“I wouldn’t say that I’m motivated more now,” he said. “That’s far from the truth.”
“I don’t think I’m playing 10 times better now,” he said. “I played some pretty good hockey before then.”
That’s a fact. Prior to his hot play of late, St. Louis had 38 points in 42 games. Now he’s on a point-per-game pace with 50 points in 50 games and leading the Lightning in scoring. Those stats make leaving him off the Canadian roster all the more head-scratching, especially with his own GM, Steve Yzerman, picking the Canadian team.
With Steven Stamkos‘ return on the horizon and Tampa Bay tied with Boston atop the Atlantic Division, making a run at the Stanley Cup makes for a decent backup prize.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 24
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 23
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)