Jan 20, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
While the merit of the plus-minus statistic has been questioned, it still carries weight with the captain of the Ottawa Senators.
“It’s been a frustrating stat for me this year,” Jason Spezza said of his minus-17 mark, per the Ottawa Sun. “I’ve been plus-20s in the past. This year when something goes wrong it seems I’m on the ice for it. It is what it is. I’m mature enough of a player to know I have to be on the ice for more goals for, than against.”
Spezza needs to be on the ice for a few more goals against before reaching the depths of Edmonton’s Nail Yakupov — owner of the league’s worst rating, at minus-31 — but he does have a pretty poor rating, along with fellow Sens forward Milan Michalek (minus-19).
The more pressing issue might be Spezza’s lack of production. He has just five points in his last 12 games and is on pace for 56 this season, a far cry from the 84 points he put up in his last full season (over 80 games, during the 2011-12 campaign.)
Despite this, Ottawa’s played reasonably well of late. The Sens have won four of seven in 2014 and taken points from every game, save Saturday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers.
Spezza acknowledged that wins and losses are much more important measures than pluses and minuses.
“We went through a tough stretch at the start of the year,” he said. “I don’t have to worry about plus-minus, I have to worry about helping to get us wins.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)