Jan 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
From Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman:
Expect a contract extension sometime today for Matt Stajan in Calgary.—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) January 20, 2014
Stajan is (was?) a pending unrestricted free agent with a cap hit of $3.5 million. The 30-year-old center originally came to Calgary from Toronto as part of the Dion Phaneuf trade.
Though Stajan struggled in his first two full seasons with the Flames, to the point that many were surprised when he wasn’t bought out, apparently management feels he’s worth keeping as the club rebuilds.
From the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson:
Stajan has seven goals and 10 assists in 41 games this season.
The terms are in, courtesy CBC’s Elliotte Friedman — four years, $12.5 million, average annual cap hit of $3.125 million.
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 16
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 86
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 34
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 32
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)