Jan 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
From Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman:
Expect a contract extension sometime today for Matt Stajan in Calgary.—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) January 20, 2014
Stajan is (was?) a pending unrestricted free agent with a cap hit of $3.5 million. The 30-year-old center originally came to Calgary from Toronto as part of the Dion Phaneuf trade.
Though Stajan struggled in his first two full seasons with the Flames, to the point that many were surprised when he wasn’t bought out, apparently management feels he’s worth keeping as the club rebuilds.
From the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson:
Stajan has seven goals and 10 assists in 41 games this season.
The terms are in, courtesy CBC’s Elliotte Friedman — four years, $12.5 million, average annual cap hit of $3.125 million.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63