Jan 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Veteran Russian forward Sergei Soin will reportedly miss the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi with an injury, according to Sports.ru, paving the way for a replacement forward to make the roster.
Soin, 31, was hurt while playing for KHL Dynamo Moscow last week. Originally Colorado’s second-round pick (50th overall) at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, he’s spent his entire professional career playing in Russia, establishing himself as a speedy checking forward.
Soin was one of the 14 forwards named to the Olympic squad two weeks ago, getting the nod over a number of NHL forwards — including the likes of Carolina’s Alex Semin, Edmonton’s Nail Yakupov, New Jersey’s Andrei Loktionov and Tampa Bay’s Nikita Kucherov.
At first glance, Semin appears to be a strong replacement candidate. He’s been very good for the ‘Canes since returning from a concussion, and has 11 points in his last 12 games.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)