Jan 20, 2014, 3:02 PM EST
From The Province newspaper in Vancouver:
We are starting to hear a few of the details of the Saturday night punch-up between the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks.
A person in position to know of such things, but who must remain nameless, has said that Kevin Bieksa, who apparently knows Calgary’s Kevin Westgarth, was told during their extended discussion at centre ice before the brawl started that the Flames tough guy admitted they’d been sent out to make something happen.
If true, that would contradict the story that Flames head coach Bob Hartley told after the game regarding his choice of starting players, which also included tough guy Brian McGrattan.
“Those guys are playing well for us,” Hartley said. “They got a goal last game. We’re not scoring many goals. We had zero intentions there.”
There’s been talk the NHL could fine Hartley for “player selection,” the same thing former Buffalo coach Ron Rolston was fined for in the preseason after the John Scott-Phil Kessel altercation.
The league’s decision to fine Rolston in that case didn’t sit well with his coaching brethren, by the way.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 4
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 23
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27