Jan 20, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
From The Province newspaper in Vancouver:
We are starting to hear a few of the details of the Saturday night punch-up between the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks.
A person in position to know of such things, but who must remain nameless, has said that Kevin Bieksa, who apparently knows Calgary’s Kevin Westgarth, was told during their extended discussion at centre ice before the brawl started that the Flames tough guy admitted they’d been sent out to make something happen.
If true, that would contradict the story that Flames head coach Bob Hartley told after the game regarding his choice of starting players, which also included tough guy Brian McGrattan.
“Those guys are playing well for us,” Hartley said. “They got a goal last game. We’re not scoring many goals. We had zero intentions there.”
There’s been talk the NHL could fine Hartley for “player selection,” the same thing former Buffalo coach Ron Rolston was fined for in the preseason after the John Scott–Phil Kessel altercation.
The league’s decision to fine Rolston in that case didn’t sit well with his coaching brethren, by the way.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)