Jan 20, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
If there was even the tiniest sliver of hope for a Pascal Dupuis return this season, Pittsburgh wiped it out on Monday.
The Pens announced that Dupuis, who suffered a torn ACL in late December, will undergo surgery to repair the ligament on Feb. 12. The date will coincide with the NHL’s Olympic break and put the 34-year-old’s status for next season into question, given recovery from a torn ACL can last up to a year.
Dupuis was enjoying another solid campaign at the time of the injury (suffered during a collision with Pens captain Sidney Crosby.) He had seven goals and 20 points in 39 games in the first of his four-year, $15 million deal.
Pens GM Ray Shero admitted losing Dupuis was a blow to his club, but noted the injury would have been much more difficult to deal with had it happened after the trade deadline. It’ll be interesting to see if Shero goes out and gets a rental winger by the deadline, as he’s done in seasons past (think Marian Hossa, Bill Guerin, Jarome Iginla, etc. etc.)
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)