Jan 20, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
If there was even the tiniest sliver of hope for a Pascal Dupuis return this season, Pittsburgh wiped it out on Monday.
The Pens announced that Dupuis, who suffered a torn ACL in late December, will undergo surgery to repair the ligament on Feb. 12. The date will coincide with the NHL’s Olympic break and put the 34-year-old’s status for next season into question, given recovery from a torn ACL can last up to a year.
Dupuis was enjoying another solid campaign at the time of the injury (suffered during a collision with Pens captain Sidney Crosby.) He had seven goals and 20 points in 39 games in the first of his four-year, $15 million deal.
Pens GM Ray Shero admitted losing Dupuis was a blow to his club, but noted the injury would have been much more difficult to deal with had it happened after the trade deadline. It’ll be interesting to see if Shero goes out and gets a rental winger by the deadline, as he’s done in seasons past (think Marian Hossa, Bill Guerin, Jarome Iginla, etc. etc.)
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)