Jan 20, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
If there was even the tiniest sliver of hope for a Pascal Dupuis return this season, Pittsburgh wiped it out on Monday.
The Pens announced that Dupuis, who suffered a torn ACL in late December, will undergo surgery to repair the ligament on Feb. 12. The date will coincide with the NHL’s Olympic break and put the 34-year-old’s status for next season into question, given recovery from a torn ACL can last up to a year.
Dupuis was enjoying another solid campaign at the time of the injury (suffered during a collision with Pens captain Sidney Crosby.) He had seven goals and 20 points in 39 games in the first of his four-year, $15 million deal.
Pens GM Ray Shero admitted losing Dupuis was a blow to his club, but noted the injury would have been much more difficult to deal with had it happened after the trade deadline. It’ll be interesting to see if Shero goes out and gets a rental winger by the deadline, as he’s done in seasons past (think Marian Hossa, Bill Guerin, Jarome Iginla, etc. etc.)
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)