Jan 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EST
Brad Marchand is on fire.
The Boston winger scored twice on Monday — and now has six goals in his last four games — to pace Boston to a 3-2 matinee win over visiting Los Angeles.
Backup goalie Chad Johnson had one of his finest outings of the year, stopping 21 of 22 shots, as the Bruins collected three of a possible four points off the last two Stanley Cup champs (the B’s lost in a shootout, 3-2, to Chicago on Sunday).
Monday’s game was a testy affair with several big hits and an impressive comeback by the Kings, who erased a two-goal deficit when Jeff Carter scored his 19th of the season at the 8:35 mark of the third period.
The equalizer was short-lived, however, and it was Marchand that provided the heroics — first, with this highlight-reel marker:
He then scored his second of the game just 18 seconds after Carter tied it, rifling home a Reilly Smith feed past Jonathan Quick. The goal gave Marchand 16 on the year, putting him one past Smith for the team lead — an impressive feat, considering Marchand had just five goals in the first 34 games of the season.
Torrey Krug scored the other goal for Boston, his 11th of the season. That puts him one back of Shea Weber for most among all NHL defensemen.
Willie Mitchell got L.A.’s opening tally, his first of the year. It was Mitchell’s first goal since Mar. 2012.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 21
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11