Jan 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Brad Marchand is on fire.
The Boston winger scored twice on Monday — and now has six goals in his last four games — to pace Boston to a 3-2 matinee win over visiting Los Angeles.
Backup goalie Chad Johnson had one of his finest outings of the year, stopping 21 of 22 shots, as the Bruins collected three of a possible four points off the last two Stanley Cup champs (the B’s lost in a shootout, 3-2, to Chicago on Sunday).
Monday’s game was a testy affair with several big hits and an impressive comeback by the Kings, who erased a two-goal deficit when Jeff Carter scored his 19th of the season at the 8:35 mark of the third period.
The equalizer was short-lived, however, and it was Marchand that provided the heroics — first, with this highlight-reel marker:
He then scored his second of the game just 18 seconds after Carter tied it, rifling home a Reilly Smith feed past Jonathan Quick. The goal gave Marchand 16 on the year, putting him one past Smith for the team lead — an impressive feat, considering Marchand had just five goals in the first 34 games of the season.
Torrey Krug scored the other goal for Boston, his 11th of the season. That puts him one back of Shea Weber for most among all NHL defensemen.
Willie Mitchell got L.A.’s opening tally, his first of the year. It was Mitchell’s first goal since Mar. 2012.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)