Jan 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Brad Marchand is on fire.
The Boston winger scored twice on Monday — and now has six goals in his last four games — to pace Boston to a 3-2 matinee win over visiting Los Angeles.
Backup goalie Chad Johnson had one of his finest outings of the year, stopping 21 of 22 shots, as the Bruins collected three of a possible four points off the last two Stanley Cup champs (the B’s lost in a shootout, 3-2, to Chicago on Sunday).
Monday’s game was a testy affair with several big hits and an impressive comeback by the Kings, who erased a two-goal deficit when Jeff Carter scored his 19th of the season at the 8:35 mark of the third period.
The equalizer was short-lived, however, and it was Marchand that provided the heroics — first, with this highlight-reel marker:
He then scored his second of the game just 18 seconds after Carter tied it, rifling home a Reilly Smith feed past Jonathan Quick. The goal gave Marchand 16 on the year, putting him one past Smith for the team lead — an impressive feat, considering Marchand had just five goals in the first 34 games of the season.
Torrey Krug scored the other goal for Boston, his 11th of the season. That puts him one back of Shea Weber for most among all NHL defensemen.
Willie Mitchell got L.A.’s opening tally, his first of the year. It was Mitchell’s first goal since Mar. 2012.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)