Jan 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Brad Marchand is on fire.
The Boston winger scored twice on Monday — and now has six goals in his last four games — to pace Boston to a 3-2 matinee win over visiting Los Angeles.
Backup goalie Chad Johnson had one of his finest outings of the year, stopping 21 of 22 shots, as the Bruins collected three of a possible four points off the last two Stanley Cup champs (the B’s lost in a shootout, 3-2, to Chicago on Sunday).
Monday’s game was a testy affair with several big hits and an impressive comeback by the Kings, who erased a two-goal deficit when Jeff Carter scored his 19th of the season at the 8:35 mark of the third period.
The equalizer was short-lived, however, and it was Marchand that provided the heroics — first, with this highlight-reel marker:
He then scored his second of the game just 18 seconds after Carter tied it, rifling home a Reilly Smith feed past Jonathan Quick. The goal gave Marchand 16 on the year, putting him one past Smith for the team lead — an impressive feat, considering Marchand had just five goals in the first 34 games of the season.
Torrey Krug scored the other goal for Boston, his 11th of the season. That puts him one back of Shea Weber for most among all NHL defensemen.
Willie Mitchell got L.A.’s opening tally, his first of the year. It was Mitchell’s first goal since Mar. 2012.
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 22
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 105
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115