Jan 20, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
A potentially huge development for the Red Wings and U.S. Olympic team tonight — goalie Jimmy Howard left midway through the Detroit-St. Louis game with a lower-body injury and, during the second intermission, was ruled out for the remainder of the night.
Howard was pulled in favor of Petr Mrazek around the 10 minute mark of the second frame after allowing three goals on 25 shots. MLive’s Ansar Khan noted that Howard might have tweaked a knee, which could be an issue as Howard missed eight games earlier this season with a MCL sprain (and another with a hip flexor problem).
Despite the injuries, Howard was one of the three goalies named to the U.S. Olympic team on Jan. 1.
With the Olympic break just a few weeks away and the tournament set to get underway on Feb. 12, it’ll be very interesting to see the severity of Howard’s injury, and if Team USA makes a call to Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop. A report from earlier this month claimed Bishop has already been told he’s the No. 4 goalie on the American depth chart, and would be on the team should an injury eliminate one of Howard, Jonathan Quick or Ryan Miller.
Updated: Ansar Khan of MLive.com reported that Wings general manager Ken Holland said Howard’s injury is minor and he’s listed as day-to-day.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)