Jan 20, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets probably aren’t keen to hear it, but Evander Kane will keep on fighting.
“Fighting is a part of the game,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s a good part of the game. It’s a necessary part of the game. You have to have it to control the game.”
Kane has missed the last four games after suffering a deep hand cut in this fight with Tampa Bay’s Eric Brewer:
It was just his second fight of the year and ninth of his career — “I don’t fight a lot,” Kane acknowledged – but despite that limited fight card, Kane is skilled with his fists. His father, Perry, was an amateur boxer that named his son after former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, and the younger Kane did some boxing training while growing up.
All that boxing background was on display in 2010, when Kane landed a devastating one-punch KO on Matt Cooke:
Kane insisted that, moving forward, he will continue to fight if challenged — even though he’s unsure when he’ll get back in the lineup.
“I’m not going to back down,” he said. ”Let’s put it that way.”
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 53
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)