Jan 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Oleksy, 27, has 10 points through 33 games this year after making his NHL debut during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign. He was a pretty regular fixture on the Washington blueline through the second half of last season and the first part of this season — averaging over 15 minutes per game — but has been a spare part as of late, having dressed in just two of the Caps’ last nine contests.
This marks the second time in two weeks the Capitals have waived a defenseman. On Jan. 8, the club put Alex Urbom on waivers and he was quickly scooped up by New Jersey, the club that originally drafted him.
It should be noted Oleksy also has some playoff experience, dressing in all seven of Washington’s first-round games against the Rangers last season. He’s in the second of a three-year, $1.625 million entry-level deal that carries a $541,667 annual cap hit.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)