Jan 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Oleksy, 27, has 10 points through 33 games this year after making his NHL debut during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign. He was a pretty regular fixture on the Washington blueline through the second half of last season and the first part of this season — averaging over 15 minutes per game — but has been a spare part as of late, having dressed in just two of the Caps’ last nine contests.
This marks the second time in two weeks the Capitals have waived a defenseman. On Jan. 8, the club put Alex Urbom on waivers and he was quickly scooped up by New Jersey, the club that originally drafted him.
It should be noted Oleksy also has some playoff experience, dressing in all seven of Washington’s first-round games against the Rangers last season. He’s in the second of a three-year, $1.625 million entry-level deal that carries a $541,667 annual cap hit.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)