Jan 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Oleksy, 27, has 10 points through 33 games this year after making his NHL debut during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign. He was a pretty regular fixture on the Washington blueline through the second half of last season and the first part of this season — averaging over 15 minutes per game — but has been a spare part as of late, having dressed in just two of the Caps’ last nine contests.
This marks the second time in two weeks the Capitals have waived a defenseman. On Jan. 8, the club put Alex Urbom on waivers and he was quickly scooped up by New Jersey, the club that originally drafted him.
It should be noted Oleksy also has some playoff experience, dressing in all seven of Washington’s first-round games against the Rangers last season. He’s in the second of a three-year, $1.625 million entry-level deal that carries a $541,667 annual cap hit.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)