Jan 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Oleksy, 27, has 10 points through 33 games this year after making his NHL debut during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign. He was a pretty regular fixture on the Washington blueline through the second half of last season and the first part of this season — averaging over 15 minutes per game — but has been a spare part as of late, having dressed in just two of the Caps’ last nine contests.
This marks the second time in two weeks the Capitals have waived a defenseman. On Jan. 8, the club put Alex Urbom on waivers and he was quickly scooped up by New Jersey, the club that originally drafted him.
It should be noted Oleksy also has some playoff experience, dressing in all seven of Washington’s first-round games against the Rangers last season. He’s in the second of a three-year, $1.625 million entry-level deal that carries a $541,667 annual cap hit.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 10
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 14
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5