Jan 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
With three regulation losses in their last four games, the St. Louis Blues are experiencing a rare bit of adversity ahead of tonight’s contest in Detroit.
On Saturday, the Blues lost 3-2 at home to Anaheim, their performance drawing a rebuke from head coach Ken Hitchcock.
“We’re not a team that can have one or two players carry us,” said Hitchcock, per the Post-Dispatch. “We need everybody, and right now we don’t have everybody engaged.”
The Blues have had one previous tough stretch this season, from Nov. 29 to Dec. 7, when they also dropped three of four in regulation. In their next 15 games, they went 12-1-2.
Tonight’s game also marks the first of four straight on the road for St. Louis. Stops in New Jersey, Manhattan and Long Island will follow.
“We need more guys to find a way to get engaged at the beginning off the game, whether it’s a hit, or a pass, or just talking on the bench,” said veteran d-man Barret Jackman.
Getting “engaged” is one thing. Some goals would help, too. The Blues have just five in their last four outings.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)