Jan 20, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Darren Helm will play for the first time in 2014 tonight when the Red Wings host the Blues at Joe Louis.
Helm, who had been on IR with a groin injury, hasn’t played since Dec. 30. The layoff marked his second significant stint on the shelf this season, as he also missed 11 games with a shoulder ailment and another 14 with back issue that lingered from the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Getting Helm back is a huge boost for Detroit. Mike Babcock often refers to Helm as the best third-line center in the NHL and, in limited games this season, Helm has discovered a real flair for offense. He has 11 points through 16 games, which includes seven goals — pretty impressive for a guy with a career-high of 12.
What’s more, Helm’s speed and forechecking ability should help Detroit gain some extra momentum offensively. The team has struggled to put pucks in the net recently, and has just six goals in its last five games.
May 6, 2015, 2:31 AM EDT
Anaheim still leads the series 2-1.
May 6, 2015, 1:32 AM EDT
Facing elimination and possible sweep, Minnesota is frustrated.
May 6, 2015, 12:56 AM EDT
Quite a finish in Calgary.
May 6, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Similar to what happened to Martin Gelinas in 2004.
May 5, 2015, 11:41 PM EDT
Calgary can’t build momentum.
May 5, 2015, 11:12 PM EDT
Chicago has Minnesota on the brink of elimination.
May 5, 2015, 10:49 PM EDT
Game 4 is Thursday in Minnesota.
May 5, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Chicago in control of this series right now.
May 5, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
“But it would certainly be in the right situation, with the right people.”
May 5, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
‘Hawks and Wild, Ducks and Flames.
May 5, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
For the league’s Most Outstanding Player, voted on by NHLPA members.
May 5, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
Punishment handed down shortly after the Montreal forward apologized publicly.
May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Diminutive forward sat out Sunday with the flu.
May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Victor Coleman’s “priority” remains the SoDo site, but if that one doesn’t work out…
May 5, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
Scoring on the Capitals hasn’t been easy for the New York Rangers.
May 5, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
He was emotional.
May 5, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“He’s popped, he’s a person that’s carried himself with outstanding leadership.”
May 5, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
The AHL is going to look dramatically different next season.
May 5, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Swiss blueliner hasn’t played since Apr. 2.
May 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
But will Ray Shero eventually look in that direction?
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)