Jan 19, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin didn’t really make any excuses after the Washington Capitals’ fifth consecutive loss, but he didn’t just fill in the usual sports cliche blanks to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
“What am I going to say? ‘Wake up everybody’ Or something like that?,” Ovechkin said. “We say too much, go out there and do it.”
It’s easy to see why Ovechkin, 28, is a little exasperated. He scored his league-leading 35th goal on Sunday, but it was the only time Washington managed to score against the New York Rangers tonight.
Some will blame Ovechkin for the Capitals’ struggles even as he continues to produce, but Adam Oates would probably agree that he’d prefer that his team follows his consistent example.
He hasn’t just been scoring, he’s creating a ton of offense, with a league-leading 260 shots on goal in 47 games played. The Capitals have plenty of questions to answer, but getting Ovechkin to be engaged hasn’t been an issue.
They might want to coach him on blurting out the usual “100 percent” and “one day at a time” platitudes, though.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)