Jan 19, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin didn’t really make any excuses after the Washington Capitals’ fifth consecutive loss, but he didn’t just fill in the usual sports cliche blanks to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
“What am I going to say? ‘Wake up everybody’ Or something like that?,” Ovechkin said. “We say too much, go out there and do it.”
It’s easy to see why Ovechkin, 28, is a little exasperated. He scored his league-leading 35th goal on Sunday, but it was the only time Washington managed to score against the New York Rangers tonight.
Some will blame Ovechkin for the Capitals’ struggles even as he continues to produce, but Adam Oates would probably agree that he’d prefer that his team follows his consistent example.
He hasn’t just been scoring, he’s creating a ton of offense, with a league-leading 260 shots on goal in 47 games played. The Capitals have plenty of questions to answer, but getting Ovechkin to be engaged hasn’t been an issue.
They might want to coach him on blurting out the usual “100 percent” and “one day at a time” platitudes, though.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)