Jan 19, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin didn’t really make any excuses after the Washington Capitals’ fifth consecutive loss, but he didn’t just fill in the usual sports cliche blanks to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
“What am I going to say? ‘Wake up everybody’ Or something like that?,” Ovechkin said. “We say too much, go out there and do it.”
It’s easy to see why Ovechkin, 28, is a little exasperated. He scored his league-leading 35th goal on Sunday, but it was the only time Washington managed to score against the New York Rangers tonight.
Some will blame Ovechkin for the Capitals’ struggles even as he continues to produce, but Adam Oates would probably agree that he’d prefer that his team follows his consistent example.
He hasn’t just been scoring, he’s creating a ton of offense, with a league-leading 260 shots on goal in 47 games played. The Capitals have plenty of questions to answer, but getting Ovechkin to be engaged hasn’t been an issue.
They might want to coach him on blurting out the usual “100 percent” and “one day at a time” platitudes, though.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)