Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning capped an up-and-down weekend with a 5-3 win against the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.
It’s been an interesting couple days for the Bolts, as their three big snubbed players made headlines. Victor Hedman suffered a lower-body injury that luckily doesn’t seem too severe and Martin St. Louis saw his four-goal game squandered in a loss, yet things were better today, as Ben Bishop was fantastic in making 48 out of 51 saves.
That stood in especially stark contrast with the Hurricanes’ play in net, as it was a rough day for Justin Peters.
The 27-year-old barely lasted more than 15 minutes of game time on Sunday, allowing three goals on seven shots before being pulled in favor of Anton Khudobin. The goal was likely to give Khudobin a little breather with Cam Ward on the shelf, as this was Peters’ first start since Jan. 19.
(Technically, Khudobin ended up taking the loss.)
The Lightning improved to 29-16-5 with the win, as their start to 2014 continues to be up-and-down (they’re 5-4-1 since Jan. 1). The Hurricanes have now lost three of their last four contests, falling to 20-19-9 overall.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)