Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning capped an up-and-down weekend with a 5-3 win against the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.
It’s been an interesting couple days for the Bolts, as their three big snubbed players made headlines. Victor Hedman suffered a lower-body injury that luckily doesn’t seem too severe and Martin St. Louis saw his four-goal game squandered in a loss, yet things were better today, as Ben Bishop was fantastic in making 48 out of 51 saves.
That stood in especially stark contrast with the Hurricanes’ play in net, as it was a rough day for Justin Peters.
The 27-year-old barely lasted more than 15 minutes of game time on Sunday, allowing three goals on seven shots before being pulled in favor of Anton Khudobin. The goal was likely to give Khudobin a little breather with Cam Ward on the shelf, as this was Peters’ first start since Jan. 19.
(Technically, Khudobin ended up taking the loss.)
The Lightning improved to 29-16-5 with the win, as their start to 2014 continues to be up-and-down (they’re 5-4-1 since Jan. 1). The Hurricanes have now lost three of their last four contests, falling to 20-19-9 overall.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)