Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning capped an up-and-down weekend with a 5-3 win against the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.
It’s been an interesting couple days for the Bolts, as their three big snubbed players made headlines. Victor Hedman suffered a lower-body injury that luckily doesn’t seem too severe and Martin St. Louis saw his four-goal game squandered in a loss, yet things were better today, as Ben Bishop was fantastic in making 48 out of 51 saves.
That stood in especially stark contrast with the Hurricanes’ play in net, as it was a rough day for Justin Peters.
The 27-year-old barely lasted more than 15 minutes of game time on Sunday, allowing three goals on seven shots before being pulled in favor of Anton Khudobin. The goal was likely to give Khudobin a little breather with Cam Ward on the shelf, as this was Peters’ first start since Jan. 19.
(Technically, Khudobin ended up taking the loss.)
The Lightning improved to 29-16-5 with the win, as their start to 2014 continues to be up-and-down (they’re 5-4-1 since Jan. 1). The Hurricanes have now lost three of their last four contests, falling to 20-19-9 overall.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)