Jan 19, 2014, 12:28 AM EDT
The Red Wings caught a huge break when defenseman Niklas Kronwall was credited with the game-tying goal with just 26.1 remaining in the third period after the puck appeared to go out of play. That led to Detroit earning a 3-2 shootout victory over Los Angeles.
After the contest Kings coach Darryl Sutter used the word “embarrassing” five times while describing the good goal call.
It looks like even Kronwall himself isn’t in the mood to defend it.
“It shouldn’t have counted,” Kronwall admitted to the Detroit Free Press, although he also said that it was a break that he’ll take as Detroit tries to claw its way back into a Wild Card spot.
You can judge the play for yourself below:
That prevented the Red Wings’ losing streak from extending to a third game, which has to come as a big relief for them given that their next two opponents are the st. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)