Jan 19, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
The Red Wings caught a huge break when defenseman Niklas Kronwall was credited with the game-tying goal with just 26.1 remaining in the third period after the puck appeared to go out of play. That led to Detroit earning a 3-2 shootout victory over Los Angeles.
After the contest Kings coach Darryl Sutter used the word “embarrassing” five times while describing the good goal call.
It looks like even Kronwall himself isn’t in the mood to defend it.
“It shouldn’t have counted,” Kronwall admitted to the Detroit Free Press, although he also said that it was a break that he’ll take as Detroit tries to claw its way back into a Wild Card spot.
You can judge the play for yourself below:
That prevented the Red Wings’ losing streak from extending to a third game, which has to come as a big relief for them given that their next two opponents are the st. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)