Jan 19, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
The Red Wings caught a huge break when defenseman Niklas Kronwall was credited with the game-tying goal with just 26.1 remaining in the third period after the puck appeared to go out of play. That led to Detroit earning a 3-2 shootout victory over Los Angeles.
After the contest Kings coach Darryl Sutter used the word “embarrassing” five times while describing the good goal call.
It looks like even Kronwall himself isn’t in the mood to defend it.
“It shouldn’t have counted,” Kronwall admitted to the Detroit Free Press, although he also said that it was a break that he’ll take as Detroit tries to claw its way back into a Wild Card spot.
You can judge the play for yourself below:
That prevented the Red Wings’ losing streak from extending to a third game, which has to come as a big relief for them given that their next two opponents are the st. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)