Jan 19, 2014, 12:28 AM EDT
The Red Wings caught a huge break when defenseman Niklas Kronwall was credited with the game-tying goal with just 26.1 remaining in the third period after the puck appeared to go out of play. That led to Detroit earning a 3-2 shootout victory over Los Angeles.
After the contest Kings coach Darryl Sutter used the word “embarrassing” five times while describing the good goal call.
It looks like even Kronwall himself isn’t in the mood to defend it.
“It shouldn’t have counted,” Kronwall admitted to the Detroit Free Press, although he also said that it was a break that he’ll take as Detroit tries to claw its way back into a Wild Card spot.
You can judge the play for yourself below:
That prevented the Red Wings’ losing streak from extending to a third game, which has to come as a big relief for them given that their next two opponents are the st. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)