Jan 19, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have dropped four of their last six games and are nine points back of Columbus for the final wild card spot in the East. With that kind of run of late, things are getting antsy in South Florida.
For coach Peter Horachek, that means it’s time to buckle down and get serious, especially against the likes of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Harvey Fialkov of The Sun-Sentinel shares the story.
“We’ve got to be a desperate team and find a way to be in games against these teams,” Horachek said Sunday afternoon. “We’re our own worst enemy.
“This is a different animal than most teams in the league. They move the pucks very well; they’re dangerous. Their power play is exceptional. We have to get up for that challenge, we have to take it to the next level because I don’t think the last two games it’s been desperate enough.”
The desperation has to come from the offense. Over their past six games, the Panthers have scored nine goals and given up 13. Keeping opponents to just over two goals per game is solid work… Except when the team is scoring 1.5 goals per game.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)