Jan 19, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have dropped four of their last six games and are nine points back of Columbus for the final wild card spot in the East. With that kind of run of late, things are getting antsy in South Florida.
For coach Peter Horachek, that means it’s time to buckle down and get serious, especially against the likes of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Harvey Fialkov of The Sun-Sentinel shares the story.
“We’ve got to be a desperate team and find a way to be in games against these teams,” Horachek said Sunday afternoon. “We’re our own worst enemy.
“This is a different animal than most teams in the league. They move the pucks very well; they’re dangerous. Their power play is exceptional. We have to get up for that challenge, we have to take it to the next level because I don’t think the last two games it’s been desperate enough.”
The desperation has to come from the offense. Over their past six games, the Panthers have scored nine goals and given up 13. Keeping opponents to just over two goals per game is solid work… Except when the team is scoring 1.5 goals per game.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)