Jan 19, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have dropped four of their last six games and are nine points back of Columbus for the final wild card spot in the East. With that kind of run of late, things are getting antsy in South Florida.
For coach Peter Horachek, that means it’s time to buckle down and get serious, especially against the likes of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Harvey Fialkov of The Sun-Sentinel shares the story.
“We’ve got to be a desperate team and find a way to be in games against these teams,” Horachek said Sunday afternoon. “We’re our own worst enemy.
“This is a different animal than most teams in the league. They move the pucks very well; they’re dangerous. Their power play is exceptional. We have to get up for that challenge, we have to take it to the next level because I don’t think the last two games it’s been desperate enough.”
The desperation has to come from the offense. Over their past six games, the Panthers have scored nine goals and given up 13. Keeping opponents to just over two goals per game is solid work… Except when the team is scoring 1.5 goals per game.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)