Jan 19, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
This afternoon on NBC, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the Boston Bruins starting at 12:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• Although Tuukka Rask has been among the league’s top goaltenders this season, he has a 3.71 GAA and .876 save percentage since Dec. 28.
• The Blackhawks’ offensive success in regulation hasn’t translated to the shootout. Despite leading the league in goals per game, their 24.4 shootout shooting percentage ranks 24th. They are 0-4 in the skills competition since Dec. 6.
• If history is any indication, then the Boston Bruins should be considered the favorites in this rematch against the 2013 Stanley Cup finalists. Since 2006-07, the losing team in the finals has gone 4-1-1 in their first contest against the defending champions.
• Chicago is 25-0-4 when they score first while the Bruins are 21-5-1 when they take the initial lead.
• The Blackhawks are tied for the league high in Olympic selections with 10.
• Chicago has a chance to become the first team since the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup three times in five campaigns. Edmonton did it in 1987, 1988, and 1990.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)