Jan 19, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
This afternoon on NBC, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the Boston Bruins starting at 12:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• Although Tuukka Rask has been among the league’s top goaltenders this season, he has a 3.71 GAA and .876 save percentage since Dec. 28.
• The Blackhawks’ offensive success in regulation hasn’t translated to the shootout. Despite leading the league in goals per game, their 24.4 shootout shooting percentage ranks 24th. They are 0-4 in the skills competition since Dec. 6.
• If history is any indication, then the Boston Bruins should be considered the favorites in this rematch against the 2013 Stanley Cup finalists. Since 2006-07, the losing team in the finals has gone 4-1-1 in their first contest against the defending champions.
• Chicago is 25-0-4 when they score first while the Bruins are 21-5-1 when they take the initial lead.
• The Blackhawks are tied for the league high in Olympic selections with 10.
• Chicago has a chance to become the first team since the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup three times in five campaigns. Edmonton did it in 1987, 1988, and 1990.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7