Jan 19, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
Patrick Kane sealed the deal in a shootout as the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 in a shootout. Kane and Jonathan Toews each scored in the skills competition while Brad Marchand was the only Bruin to tally.
What’s there to talk about from this one? Some food for thought:
— We know it wasn’t a playoff game and the Stanley Cup wasn’t on the line, but that sure felt like a playoff game.
— Who knew the game’s weirdest penalty would go to Toews? A 10-minute misconduct for tossing part of his broken stick in the crowd takes the cake.
— Brad Marchand showed a bit of everything he can do. He scored twice, was able to get under the Blackhawks skin drawing their attention and a penalty and scored in the shootout. Solid day.
— Rask would like one of them back though. Brandon Bollig‘s goal from the goal line near the corner with no angle doesn’t look pretty, but it counted nonetheless.
— Matt Bartkowski might want a do-over on his hit on Ben Smith with 4.6 seconds left that put Chicago on the power play to start overtime. At least it didn’t cost Boston the game. Silver linings, people.
Here are the highlights from today’s game:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5