Jan 19, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
Patrick Kane sealed the deal in a shootout as the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 in a shootout. Kane and Jonathan Toews each scored in the skills competition while Brad Marchand was the only Bruin to tally.
What’s there to talk about from this one? Some food for thought:
— We know it wasn’t a playoff game and the Stanley Cup wasn’t on the line, but that sure felt like a playoff game.
— Who knew the game’s weirdest penalty would go to Toews? A 10-minute misconduct for tossing part of his broken stick in the crowd takes the cake.
— Brad Marchand showed a bit of everything he can do. He scored twice, was able to get under the Blackhawks skin drawing their attention and a penalty and scored in the shootout. Solid day.
— Rask would like one of them back though. Brandon Bollig‘s goal from the goal line near the corner with no angle doesn’t look pretty, but it counted nonetheless.
— Matt Bartkowski might want a do-over on his hit on Ben Smith with 4.6 seconds left that put Chicago on the power play to start overtime. At least it didn’t cost Boston the game. Silver linings, people.
Here are the highlights from today’s game:
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)