Jan 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
One of the big challenges for Team Canada and the United States going into the 2014 Winter Olympics will be adapting to the larger international ice.
Although that adjustment certainly won’t be exclusive to them given that the vast majority of the tournament’s top players play in NHL rinks, Canadians and Americans in particular don’t get many opportunities to skate in the bigger rinks during their professional careers.
There are exceptions though and oddly enough we have the lockout to thank for that. There were quite a few players that decided to ride out the work stoppage in Europe, including Team Canada’s John Tavares.
He signed with Bern of the Swiss League and also served primarily as a left winger instead of his usual position of center. That experience might prove to be critical as Canada might end up asking him to play on the left wing on the third line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, according to the Toronto Sun.
Team USA’s Patrick Kane also has a lockout experience in the Swiss League to lean on, but many others from both teams others didn’t play internationally during that period.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)