Jan 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
One of the big challenges for Team Canada and the United States going into the 2014 Winter Olympics will be adapting to the larger international ice.
Although that adjustment certainly won’t be exclusive to them given that the vast majority of the tournament’s top players play in NHL rinks, Canadians and Americans in particular don’t get many opportunities to skate in the bigger rinks during their professional careers.
There are exceptions though and oddly enough we have the lockout to thank for that. There were quite a few players that decided to ride out the work stoppage in Europe, including Team Canada’s John Tavares.
He signed with Bern of the Swiss League and also served primarily as a left winger instead of his usual position of center. That experience might prove to be critical as Canada might end up asking him to play on the left wing on the third line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, according to the Toronto Sun.
Team USA’s Patrick Kane also has a lockout experience in the Swiss League to lean on, but many others from both teams others didn’t play internationally during that period.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)