Jan 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
One of the big challenges for Team Canada and the United States going into the 2014 Winter Olympics will be adapting to the larger international ice.
Although that adjustment certainly won’t be exclusive to them given that the vast majority of the tournament’s top players play in NHL rinks, Canadians and Americans in particular don’t get many opportunities to skate in the bigger rinks during their professional careers.
There are exceptions though and oddly enough we have the lockout to thank for that. There were quite a few players that decided to ride out the work stoppage in Europe, including Team Canada’s John Tavares.
He signed with Bern of the Swiss League and also served primarily as a left winger instead of his usual position of center. That experience might prove to be critical as Canada might end up asking him to play on the left wing on the third line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, according to the Toronto Sun.
Team USA’s Patrick Kane also has a lockout experience in the Swiss League to lean on, but many others from both teams others didn’t play internationally during that period.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)