Jan 18, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
With the Kings up 2-1 and less than a minute left in the third period, the Detroit Red Wings were on the power play and had pulled their goaltender.
With that 6-on-4 advantage, Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall fired a shot that hit Kings forward Jarret Stoll‘s stick and appeared to go out of play. However, the puck ended up hitting goaltender Jonathan Quick in the back en route to being called the game-tying goal:
Detroit went on to secure a 3-2 shootout win.
After the contest, Kings coach Darryl Sutter wasn’t shy about voicing his displeasure with the good goal call.
“Pucks go in the stands, and then they come back in and score?” Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider. “Probably, yeah. Off the net? We’ve seen that. That’s embarrassing for the league. That’s what that is. It doesn’t matter if we’d have scored, or if they had scored it. That’s embarrassing.”
When asked about coming so close to winning, Sutter added that “we got screwed” and asked what the officials would do in the upcoming outdoor game between Los Angeles and Anaheim.
“That’s just embarrassing,” Sutter said. “That’s embarrassing. It shouldn’t even be that.”
Sutter went on to call it embarrassing a fifth time.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)