Jan 18, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
With the Kings up 2-1 and less than a minute left in the third period, the Detroit Red Wings were on the power play and had pulled their goaltender.
With that 6-on-4 advantage, Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall fired a shot that hit Kings forward Jarret Stoll‘s stick and appeared to go out of play. However, the puck ended up hitting goaltender Jonathan Quick in the back en route to being called the game-tying goal:
Detroit went on to secure a 3-2 shootout win.
After the contest, Kings coach Darryl Sutter wasn’t shy about voicing his displeasure with the good goal call.
“Pucks go in the stands, and then they come back in and score?” Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider. “Probably, yeah. Off the net? We’ve seen that. That’s embarrassing for the league. That’s what that is. It doesn’t matter if we’d have scored, or if they had scored it. That’s embarrassing.”
When asked about coming so close to winning, Sutter added that “we got screwed” and asked what the officials would do in the upcoming outdoor game between Los Angeles and Anaheim.
“That’s just embarrassing,” Sutter said. “That’s embarrassing. It shouldn’t even be that.”
Sutter went on to call it embarrassing a fifth time.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)