Jan 18, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
With the Kings up 2-1 and less than a minute left in the third period, the Detroit Red Wings were on the power play and had pulled their goaltender.
With that 6-on-4 advantage, Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall fired a shot that hit Kings forward Jarret Stoll‘s stick and appeared to go out of play. However, the puck ended up hitting goaltender Jonathan Quick in the back en route to being called the game-tying goal:
Detroit went on to secure a 3-2 shootout win.
After the contest, Kings coach Darryl Sutter wasn’t shy about voicing his displeasure with the good goal call.
“Pucks go in the stands, and then they come back in and score?” Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider. “Probably, yeah. Off the net? We’ve seen that. That’s embarrassing for the league. That’s what that is. It doesn’t matter if we’d have scored, or if they had scored it. That’s embarrassing.”
When asked about coming so close to winning, Sutter added that “we got screwed” and asked what the officials would do in the upcoming outdoor game between Los Angeles and Anaheim.
“That’s just embarrassing,” Sutter said. “That’s embarrassing. It shouldn’t even be that.”
Sutter went on to call it embarrassing a fifth time.
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 9
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)