Jan 18, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
With the Kings up 2-1 and less than a minute left in the third period, the Detroit Red Wings were on the power play and had pulled their goaltender.
With that 6-on-4 advantage, Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall fired a shot that hit Kings forward Jarret Stoll‘s stick and appeared to go out of play. However, the puck ended up hitting goaltender Jonathan Quick in the back en route to being called the game-tying goal:
Detroit went on to secure a 3-2 shootout win.
After the contest, Kings coach Darryl Sutter wasn’t shy about voicing his displeasure with the good goal call.
“Pucks go in the stands, and then they come back in and score?” Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider. “Probably, yeah. Off the net? We’ve seen that. That’s embarrassing for the league. That’s what that is. It doesn’t matter if we’d have scored, or if they had scored it. That’s embarrassing.”
When asked about coming so close to winning, Sutter added that “we got screwed” and asked what the officials would do in the upcoming outdoor game between Los Angeles and Anaheim.
“That’s just embarrassing,” Sutter said. “That’s embarrassing. It shouldn’t even be that.”
Sutter went on to call it embarrassing a fifth time.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)