Jan 18, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
It’s been a remarkable rookie season for Dallas Stars forward Valeri Nichushkin, but that’s a big reason why Lindy Ruff is making him a healthy scratch on Saturday.
As Ruff explains to the Dallas Morning News, the wear and tear of his first NHL campaign and the thrill of being a surprise selection for Russia in the 2014 Winter Olympics has left him fatigued.
“He’s had a little bit of a tough ride, and he said he’s felt real tired,” Ruff said. “He’s 18, and I think for him it’s been a mental grind, so try to freshen him up and get him going again.”
” … I think emotionally for him has been the craziest ride.”
That’s about as positive a spin as you can get for a healthy scratch (unless that player is welcoming a newborn baby, perhaps).
Nichushkin’s most recent work does indicate a little lsot steam. He hasn’t scored a point in his last five games and didn’t even manage a shot on goal in two of those contests. He’s still be a success overall, however, as the 10th pick of the 2013 NHL Draft has 22 points in 46 games.
Regardless, the Stars will face the Minnesota Wild without him Saturday night.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)