Jan 18, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
It’s been a remarkable rookie season for Dallas Stars forward Valeri Nichushkin, but that’s a big reason why Lindy Ruff is making him a healthy scratch on Saturday.
As Ruff explains to the Dallas Morning News, the wear and tear of his first NHL campaign and the thrill of being a surprise selection for Russia in the 2014 Winter Olympics has left him fatigued.
“He’s had a little bit of a tough ride, and he said he’s felt real tired,” Ruff said. “He’s 18, and I think for him it’s been a mental grind, so try to freshen him up and get him going again.”
” … I think emotionally for him has been the craziest ride.”
That’s about as positive a spin as you can get for a healthy scratch (unless that player is welcoming a newborn baby, perhaps).
Nichushkin’s most recent work does indicate a little lsot steam. He hasn’t scored a point in his last five games and didn’t even manage a shot on goal in two of those contests. He’s still be a success overall, however, as the 10th pick of the 2013 NHL Draft has 22 points in 46 games.
Regardless, the Stars will face the Minnesota Wild without him Saturday night.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)