Jan 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers didn’t quite say that Nail Yakupov has a concussion, as they instead labeled his issue as a “head injury.” Regardless, he was placed on the injured reserve on Saturday after undergoing concussion protocol for this hit from Minnesota Wild winger Matt Cooke on Thursday:
Oilers play-by-play announcer Jack Michaels notes that Yakupov, 20, is eligible to return against the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday. Naturally, that doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to return that soon.
This represents another speed bump in a challenging sophomore season for the Russian winger. He’s been limited to nine goals and 17 points along with a -31 rating in 47 games for Edmonton in 2013-14.
The Oilers face the Winnipeg Jets in a Saturday matinee.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)