Jan 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers didn’t quite say that Nail Yakupov has a concussion, as they instead labeled his issue as a “head injury.” Regardless, he was placed on the injured reserve on Saturday after undergoing concussion protocol for this hit from Minnesota Wild winger Matt Cooke on Thursday:
Oilers play-by-play announcer Jack Michaels notes that Yakupov, 20, is eligible to return against the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday. Naturally, that doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to return that soon.
This represents another speed bump in a challenging sophomore season for the Russian winger. He’s been limited to nine goals and 17 points along with a -31 rating in 47 games for Edmonton in 2013-14.
The Oilers face the Winnipeg Jets in a Saturday matinee.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 27
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)