Jan 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers didn’t quite say that Nail Yakupov has a concussion, as they instead labeled his issue as a “head injury.” Regardless, he was placed on the injured reserve on Saturday after undergoing concussion protocol for this hit from Minnesota Wild winger Matt Cooke on Thursday:
Oilers play-by-play announcer Jack Michaels notes that Yakupov, 20, is eligible to return against the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday. Naturally, that doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to return that soon.
This represents another speed bump in a challenging sophomore season for the Russian winger. He’s been limited to nine goals and 17 points along with a -31 rating in 47 games for Edmonton in 2013-14.
The Oilers face the Winnipeg Jets in a Saturday matinee.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)