Jan 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers didn’t quite say that Nail Yakupov has a concussion, as they instead labeled his issue as a “head injury.” Regardless, he was placed on the injured reserve on Saturday after undergoing concussion protocol for this hit from Minnesota Wild winger Matt Cooke on Thursday:
Oilers play-by-play announcer Jack Michaels notes that Yakupov, 20, is eligible to return against the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday. Naturally, that doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to return that soon.
This represents another speed bump in a challenging sophomore season for the Russian winger. He’s been limited to nine goals and 17 points along with a -31 rating in 47 games for Edmonton in 2013-14.
The Oilers face the Winnipeg Jets in a Saturday matinee.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)