Jan 18, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Although Mazanec got off to a hot start, both netminders have been inconsistent and with Rinne still out indefinitely, the Predators decided to acquire Devan Dubnyk from Edmonton on Wednesday. The Predators didn’t immediately decide which goalie should be demoted as a result, but they eventually settled on sending Mazanec to AHL Milwaukee.
It looks like age was a determining factor as Mazanec is 22 while Hutton is 28.
“Maz is probably a little bit larger and more athletic, but he is the least experienced,” Predators coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean. “I think the decision is to get him in the right seat in our organization so that he can become the player that he can become.”
Trotz was referring to professional hockey experience in general, given that Mazanec actually has played in a few more NHL games than Hutton.
Meanwhile, Dubnyk is waiting to make his Nashville debut. That might happen today, but Trotz cautioned that they want to “slowly get him acclimatized to the way we play.”
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)