Jan 18, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers might be in similar situations big picture-wise, but one could be forgiven for believing that they were two teams going in different directions on Saturday.
With Winnipeg’s 3-2 OT win, the Jets have now won three straight games under new (interim?) head coach Paul Maurice. On the other end of the spectrum, the Oilers’ changes haven’t netted impressive results yet, as their losing streak is at four games and they only have two wins since Dec. 28.
The simple and fancy stats seem pretty ugly for the Oilers.
The biggest insult of the day might be that Winnipeg’s young players stepped up a bit more than Edmonton’s much-ballyhooed bunch. Jordan Eberle made it 1-0 and David Perron secured the Oilers an eventual charity point with his 18th goal with just two minutes left in the game, but it was Jacob Trouba (two goals, including the OT-winner) and red-hot rookie forward Mark Scheifele who made the biggest difference.
Here’s video of Trouba’s clinching tally:
Blake Wheeler obviously deserves plenty of credit, as that clip above showed off one of his two assists.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 23
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25