Jan 18, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers might be in similar situations big picture-wise, but one could be forgiven for believing that they were two teams going in different directions on Saturday.
With Winnipeg’s 3-2 OT win, the Jets have now won three straight games under new (interim?) head coach Paul Maurice. On the other end of the spectrum, the Oilers’ changes haven’t netted impressive results yet, as their losing streak is at four games and they only have two wins since Dec. 28.
The simple and fancy stats seem pretty ugly for the Oilers.
The biggest insult of the day might be that Winnipeg’s young players stepped up a bit more than Edmonton’s much-ballyhooed bunch. Jordan Eberle made it 1-0 and David Perron secured the Oilers an eventual charity point with his 18th goal with just two minutes left in the game, but it was Jacob Trouba (two goals, including the OT-winner) and red-hot rookie forward Mark Scheifele who made the biggest difference.
Here’s video of Trouba’s clinching tally:
Blake Wheeler obviously deserves plenty of credit, as that clip above showed off one of his two assists.
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 14
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 3
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)