Jan 18, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers might be in similar situations big picture-wise, but one could be forgiven for believing that they were two teams going in different directions on Saturday.
With Winnipeg’s 3-2 OT win, the Jets have now won three straight games under new (interim?) head coach Paul Maurice. On the other end of the spectrum, the Oilers’ changes haven’t netted impressive results yet, as their losing streak is at four games and they only have two wins since Dec. 28.
The simple and fancy stats seem pretty ugly for the Oilers.
The biggest insult of the day might be that Winnipeg’s young players stepped up a bit more than Edmonton’s much-ballyhooed bunch. Jordan Eberle made it 1-0 and David Perron secured the Oilers an eventual charity point with his 18th goal with just two minutes left in the game, but it was Jacob Trouba (two goals, including the OT-winner) and red-hot rookie forward Mark Scheifele who made the biggest difference.
Here’s video of Trouba’s clinching tally:
Blake Wheeler obviously deserves plenty of credit, as that clip above showed off one of his two assists.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)