Jan 18, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers might be in similar situations big picture-wise, but one could be forgiven for believing that they were two teams going in different directions on Saturday.
With Winnipeg’s 3-2 OT win, the Jets have now won three straight games under new (interim?) head coach Paul Maurice. On the other end of the spectrum, the Oilers’ changes haven’t netted impressive results yet, as their losing streak is at four games and they only have two wins since Dec. 28.
The simple and fancy stats seem pretty ugly for the Oilers.
The biggest insult of the day might be that Winnipeg’s young players stepped up a bit more than Edmonton’s much-ballyhooed bunch. Jordan Eberle made it 1-0 and David Perron secured the Oilers an eventual charity point with his 18th goal with just two minutes left in the game, but it was Jacob Trouba (two goals, including the OT-winner) and red-hot rookie forward Mark Scheifele who made the biggest difference.
Here’s video of Trouba’s clinching tally:
Blake Wheeler obviously deserves plenty of credit, as that clip above showed off one of his two assists.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 13
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)