Jan 18, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Back in December and more than a month after returning from a concussion, San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle suggested that there was more to this story than he was ready to talk about.
It’s only now that he’s finally ready to open up about the problems he faced in his recovery that extended far beyond his Nov. 2 return.
“In hindsight — and it wasn’t the team that was forcing me, it was all me — it would have been a good idea for me to stay away a little longer,” Boyle admitted to the San Jose Mercury News.
When that phase was over he returned despite the fact that new problems were arising.
“I wasn’t eating. My wife was concerned,” Boyle said. “I wasn’t sleeping, I wasn’t eating, I wasn’t feeling good.”
There were times where he played on just one or two hours sleep. He admitted that it got to the point where he was like a “zombie” and it made him sluggish on the ice.
It wasn’t until just before Christmas that Boyle finally reached out to the Sharks for help. They got him to talk with the Stanford Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine and that’s proven to be a big help.
At this point Boyle feels the issue is behind him, which is why he’s comfortable sharing it with the public. But it does stand up both as an example of the lingering problems that can arise from head injuries and what some will put themselves through for the sake of being in the lineup.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)