Jan 18, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Back in December and more than a month after returning from a concussion, San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle suggested that there was more to this story than he was ready to talk about.
It’s only now that he’s finally ready to open up about the problems he faced in his recovery that extended far beyond his Nov. 2 return.
“In hindsight — and it wasn’t the team that was forcing me, it was all me — it would have been a good idea for me to stay away a little longer,” Boyle admitted to the San Jose Mercury News.
When that phase was over he returned despite the fact that new problems were arising.
“I wasn’t eating. My wife was concerned,” Boyle said. “I wasn’t sleeping, I wasn’t eating, I wasn’t feeling good.”
There were times where he played on just one or two hours sleep. He admitted that it got to the point where he was like a “zombie” and it made him sluggish on the ice.
It wasn’t until just before Christmas that Boyle finally reached out to the Sharks for help. They got him to talk with the Stanford Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine and that’s proven to be a big help.
At this point Boyle feels the issue is behind him, which is why he’s comfortable sharing it with the public. But it does stand up both as an example of the lingering problems that can arise from head injuries and what some will put themselves through for the sake of being in the lineup.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)