Jan 18, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
With a five-game winning streak going and tonight’s game against the lowly Buffalo Sabres in mind, life seems pretty sweet for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Maybe too sweet.
That seems to be head coach Todd Richards’ worry, as he expressed concern about the Blue Jackets taking the Sabres too lightly on Saturday, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
“I mentioned it to the guys even last night (after the Capitals’ game),” Richards said. “You come off a big game and you’re excited. I’m looking at last night, because we talked about how big that game was. But a lot of times you look at the standings and see where the opponent is and see where you are … we can’t fall into that trap.
“We were there last season. We were at the bottom of the standings (after six weeks), and I think we did sneak up on some teams. The way (the Sabres) are working right now, if that’s our attitude and our mentality, that we think this is going to be an easy game, we’re mistaken — we’ll be after the game sitting in our stalls or sitting on the plane wondering what happened.”
That’s a good thought, but it does beg the question as to whether or not a team ranked 11th in the Eastern Conference should really be that concerned with upsets.
In other Blue Jackets news, Columbus is rolling with Sergei Bobrovsky in back-to-back starts today.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)