Jan 18, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
With a five-game winning streak going and tonight’s game against the lowly Buffalo Sabres in mind, life seems pretty sweet for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Maybe too sweet.
That seems to be head coach Todd Richards’ worry, as he expressed concern about the Blue Jackets taking the Sabres too lightly on Saturday, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
“I mentioned it to the guys even last night (after the Capitals’ game),” Richards said. “You come off a big game and you’re excited. I’m looking at last night, because we talked about how big that game was. But a lot of times you look at the standings and see where the opponent is and see where you are … we can’t fall into that trap.
“We were there last season. We were at the bottom of the standings (after six weeks), and I think we did sneak up on some teams. The way (the Sabres) are working right now, if that’s our attitude and our mentality, that we think this is going to be an easy game, we’re mistaken — we’ll be after the game sitting in our stalls or sitting on the plane wondering what happened.”
That’s a good thought, but it does beg the question as to whether or not a team ranked 11th in the Eastern Conference should really be that concerned with upsets.
In other Blue Jackets news, Columbus is rolling with Sergei Bobrovsky in back-to-back starts today.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)