Jan 18, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
With a five-game winning streak going and tonight’s game against the lowly Buffalo Sabres in mind, life seems pretty sweet for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Maybe too sweet.
That seems to be head coach Todd Richards’ worry, as he expressed concern about the Blue Jackets taking the Sabres too lightly on Saturday, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
“I mentioned it to the guys even last night (after the Capitals’ game),” Richards said. “You come off a big game and you’re excited. I’m looking at last night, because we talked about how big that game was. But a lot of times you look at the standings and see where the opponent is and see where you are … we can’t fall into that trap.
“We were there last season. We were at the bottom of the standings (after six weeks), and I think we did sneak up on some teams. The way (the Sabres) are working right now, if that’s our attitude and our mentality, that we think this is going to be an easy game, we’re mistaken — we’ll be after the game sitting in our stalls or sitting on the plane wondering what happened.”
That’s a good thought, but it does beg the question as to whether or not a team ranked 11th in the Eastern Conference should really be that concerned with upsets.
In other Blue Jackets news, Columbus is rolling with Sergei Bobrovsky in back-to-back starts today.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)