Jan 18, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
With a five-game winning streak going and tonight’s game against the lowly Buffalo Sabres in mind, life seems pretty sweet for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Maybe too sweet.
That seems to be head coach Todd Richards’ worry, as he expressed concern about the Blue Jackets taking the Sabres too lightly on Saturday, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
“I mentioned it to the guys even last night (after the Capitals’ game),” Richards said. “You come off a big game and you’re excited. I’m looking at last night, because we talked about how big that game was. But a lot of times you look at the standings and see where the opponent is and see where you are … we can’t fall into that trap.
“We were there last season. We were at the bottom of the standings (after six weeks), and I think we did sneak up on some teams. The way (the Sabres) are working right now, if that’s our attitude and our mentality, that we think this is going to be an easy game, we’re mistaken — we’ll be after the game sitting in our stalls or sitting on the plane wondering what happened.”
That’s a good thought, but it does beg the question as to whether or not a team ranked 11th in the Eastern Conference should really be that concerned with upsets.
In other Blue Jackets news, Columbus is rolling with Sergei Bobrovsky in back-to-back starts today.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 48
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)