Jan 17, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets leaned on the Washington Capitals with strong physical play on Friday night, and were rewarded with a 5-1 victory.
Below is a highlight package of some of the bigger hits, particularly in the first period of tonight’s game. This run of play culminated with Corey Tropp being dinged for a charging minor and Tom Wilson getting a roughing minor.
Tropp took a healthy run at a Washington defenseman, but appeared to miss his check entirely, slamming hard into the boards. Statistics on NHL.com had Columbus credited with 40 hits, and Washington with only 18.
It was also a tough night for the Capitals’ goaltending. Philipp Grubauer was yanked after allowing three goals on 14 shots, with Braden Holtby coming in to replace him in the second period. He had to contend with big bodies like Boone Jenner in front, which isn’t always the most fun task for a goalie.
Jenner was called for goalie interference for falling on top of Holtby in the second period. It’s tough place on the ice.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)