Jan 17, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets leaned on the Washington Capitals with strong physical play on Friday night, and were rewarded with a 5-1 victory.
Below is a highlight package of some of the bigger hits, particularly in the first period of tonight’s game. This run of play culminated with Corey Tropp being dinged for a charging minor and Tom Wilson getting a roughing minor.
Tropp took a healthy run at a Washington defenseman, but appeared to miss his check entirely, slamming hard into the boards. Statistics on NHL.com had Columbus credited with 40 hits, and Washington with only 18.
It was also a tough night for the Capitals’ goaltending. Philipp Grubauer was yanked after allowing three goals on 14 shots, with Braden Holtby coming in to replace him in the second period. He had to contend with big bodies like Boone Jenner in front, which isn’t always the most fun task for a goalie.
Jenner was called for goalie interference for falling on top of Holtby in the second period. It’s tough place on the ice.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)