Jan 17, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets leaned on the Washington Capitals with strong physical play on Friday night, and were rewarded with a 5-1 victory.
Below is a highlight package of some of the bigger hits, particularly in the first period of tonight’s game. This run of play culminated with Corey Tropp being dinged for a charging minor and Tom Wilson getting a roughing minor.
Tropp took a healthy run at a Washington defenseman, but appeared to miss his check entirely, slamming hard into the boards. Statistics on NHL.com had Columbus credited with 40 hits, and Washington with only 18.
It was also a tough night for the Capitals’ goaltending. Philipp Grubauer was yanked after allowing three goals on 14 shots, with Braden Holtby coming in to replace him in the second period. He had to contend with big bodies like Boone Jenner in front, which isn’t always the most fun task for a goalie.
Jenner was called for goalie interference for falling on top of Holtby in the second period. It’s tough place on the ice.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)