Jan 17, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets leaned on the Washington Capitals with strong physical play on Friday night, and were rewarded with a 5-1 victory.
Below is a highlight package of some of the bigger hits, particularly in the first period of tonight’s game. This run of play culminated with Corey Tropp being dinged for a charging minor and Tom Wilson getting a roughing minor.
Tropp took a healthy run at a Washington defenseman, but appeared to miss his check entirely, slamming hard into the boards. Statistics on NHL.com had Columbus credited with 40 hits, and Washington with only 18.
It was also a tough night for the Capitals’ goaltending. Philipp Grubauer was yanked after allowing three goals on 14 shots, with Braden Holtby coming in to replace him in the second period. He had to contend with big bodies like Boone Jenner in front, which isn’t always the most fun task for a goalie.
Jenner was called for goalie interference for falling on top of Holtby in the second period. It’s tough place on the ice.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)