Jan 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
While the 30-year-old has just five goals and three assists in the 33 games that injuries have allowed him to play, there’s reason to believe better times are ahead.
“I feel a lot more relaxed now,” Laich said, per CSN Washington. “At the start of the season I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I felt healthy, but I wasn’t sure if I could make it through five games and then have this thing flare up.
“Now that we’ve found the source of the problem — that it was coming from inflammation from a nerve in my spine — I’m a lot more relaxed and at ease because we know that if the pain creeps back how to address it and cut it off quickly.”
Here’s what Laich’s injury log looks like since the beginning of 2013:
You’ll note the prevalence of the word “groin.”
Laich had a goal in Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, and he’s hoping for more in the second half of the season.
“I feel great physically,” he said. “Now I just want to produce.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)