Jan 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
While the 30-year-old has just five goals and three assists in the 33 games that injuries have allowed him to play, there’s reason to believe better times are ahead.
“I feel a lot more relaxed now,” Laich said, per CSN Washington. “At the start of the season I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I felt healthy, but I wasn’t sure if I could make it through five games and then have this thing flare up.
“Now that we’ve found the source of the problem — that it was coming from inflammation from a nerve in my spine — I’m a lot more relaxed and at ease because we know that if the pain creeps back how to address it and cut it off quickly.”
Here’s what Laich’s injury log looks like since the beginning of 2013:
You’ll note the prevalence of the word “groin.”
Laich had a goal in Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, and he’s hoping for more in the second half of the season.
“I feel great physically,” he said. “Now I just want to produce.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)