Jan 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
While the 30-year-old has just five goals and three assists in the 33 games that injuries have allowed him to play, there’s reason to believe better times are ahead.
“I feel a lot more relaxed now,” Laich said, per CSN Washington. “At the start of the season I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I felt healthy, but I wasn’t sure if I could make it through five games and then have this thing flare up.
“Now that we’ve found the source of the problem — that it was coming from inflammation from a nerve in my spine — I’m a lot more relaxed and at ease because we know that if the pain creeps back how to address it and cut it off quickly.”
Here’s what Laich’s injury log looks like since the beginning of 2013:
You’ll note the prevalence of the word “groin.”
Laich had a goal in Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, and he’s hoping for more in the second half of the season.
“I feel great physically,” he said. “Now I just want to produce.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)