Jan 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
While the 30-year-old has just five goals and three assists in the 33 games that injuries have allowed him to play, there’s reason to believe better times are ahead.
“I feel a lot more relaxed now,” Laich said, per CSN Washington. “At the start of the season I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I felt healthy, but I wasn’t sure if I could make it through five games and then have this thing flare up.
“Now that we’ve found the source of the problem — that it was coming from inflammation from a nerve in my spine — I’m a lot more relaxed and at ease because we know that if the pain creeps back how to address it and cut it off quickly.”
Here’s what Laich’s injury log looks like since the beginning of 2013:
You’ll note the prevalence of the word “groin.”
Laich had a goal in Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, and he’s hoping for more in the second half of the season.
“I feel great physically,” he said. “Now I just want to produce.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)