Jan 17, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
While the 30-year-old has just five goals and three assists in the 33 games that injuries have allowed him to play, there’s reason to believe better times are ahead.
“I feel a lot more relaxed now,” Laich said, per CSN Washington. “At the start of the season I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I felt healthy, but I wasn’t sure if I could make it through five games and then have this thing flare up.
“Now that we’ve found the source of the problem — that it was coming from inflammation from a nerve in my spine — I’m a lot more relaxed and at ease because we know that if the pain creeps back how to address it and cut it off quickly.”
Here’s what Laich’s injury log looks like since the beginning of 2013:
You’ll note the prevalence of the word “groin.”
Laich had a goal in Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh, and he’s hoping for more in the second half of the season.
“I feel great physically,” he said. “Now I just want to produce.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)