Jan 17, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Kirill Kabanov is on his way to Sweden.
Kabanov, the Islanders’ third-round pick (65th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has been assigned to MoDo of the Swedish Hockey League, the Isles announced on Friday. The move marks another big shift for Kabanov, a talented prospect that’s had a colorful past — to say the least (see here and here and here).
The 21-year-old skill forward made his North American professional debut last season, scoring nine points in 32 games for AHL Bridgeport. This year, he’s split time between Bridgeport and the Isles’ ECHL affiliate in Stockton.
It’ll be interesting to see if the time spent playing in Sweden will revive his NHL chances. For all the off-ice drama, Kabanov is a very talented scorer that put up 55 points in 50 games for QMJHL Shawinigan in 2011-12, one point less that ex-Cataractes teammate and current Montreal rookie Michael Bournival. He also helped the Cataractes win the Memorial Cup that season.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 6
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 15
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)