Jan 17, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
Kirill Kabanov is on his way to Sweden.
Kabanov, the Islanders’ third-round pick (65th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has been assigned to MoDo of the Swedish Hockey League, the Isles announced on Friday. The move marks another big shift for Kabanov, a talented prospect that’s had a colorful past — to say the least (see here and here and here).
The 21-year-old skill forward made his North American professional debut last season, scoring nine points in 32 games for AHL Bridgeport. This year, he’s split time between Bridgeport and the Isles’ ECHL affiliate in Stockton.
It’ll be interesting to see if the time spent playing in Sweden will revive his NHL chances. For all the off-ice drama, Kabanov is a very talented scorer that put up 55 points in 50 games for QMJHL Shawinigan in 2011-12, one point less that ex-Cataractes teammate and current Montreal rookie Michael Bournival. He also helped the Cataractes win the Memorial Cup that season.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)