Jan 17, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Marian Gaborik has been out of action since Dec. 21 with a broken collarbone. His initial diagnosis for recovery was six weeks and time is ticking away for him to get back in action.
Gaborik’s motivation to return as soon as he can includes being named to Team Slovakia for the Olympics and being in the final year of his contract. He tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch he’s not going to rush his way back and put himself in further danger.
“I can’t play if I’m not right,” Gaborik said. “I’m not going to cheat myself, or cheat a team — this team (the Blue Jackets), or an Olympic team. The other thing is, I have to be in shape to play. I obviously can’t just jump into games.”
Gaborik has played in 18 games this season with five goals and 12 points. That’s decent production for how much he’s played, but injuries have been a big problem this year. He injured his knee in November and in his first game back after that he broken his collarbone.
The Olympics makes for a great motivation to get in shape, but time is ticking away for Gaborik.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)