Jan 17, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Marian Gaborik has been out of action since Dec. 21 with a broken collarbone. His initial diagnosis for recovery was six weeks and time is ticking away for him to get back in action.
Gaborik’s motivation to return as soon as he can includes being named to Team Slovakia for the Olympics and being in the final year of his contract. He tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch he’s not going to rush his way back and put himself in further danger.
“I can’t play if I’m not right,” Gaborik said. “I’m not going to cheat myself, or cheat a team — this team (the Blue Jackets), or an Olympic team. The other thing is, I have to be in shape to play. I obviously can’t just jump into games.”
Gaborik has played in 18 games this season with five goals and 12 points. That’s decent production for how much he’s played, but injuries have been a big problem this year. He injured his knee in November and in his first game back after that he broken his collarbone.
The Olympics makes for a great motivation to get in shape, but time is ticking away for Gaborik.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)