Jan 17, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Marian Gaborik has been out of action since Dec. 21 with a broken collarbone. His initial diagnosis for recovery was six weeks and time is ticking away for him to get back in action.
Gaborik’s motivation to return as soon as he can includes being named to Team Slovakia for the Olympics and being in the final year of his contract. He tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch he’s not going to rush his way back and put himself in further danger.
“I can’t play if I’m not right,” Gaborik said. “I’m not going to cheat myself, or cheat a team — this team (the Blue Jackets), or an Olympic team. The other thing is, I have to be in shape to play. I obviously can’t just jump into games.”
Gaborik has played in 18 games this season with five goals and 12 points. That’s decent production for how much he’s played, but injuries have been a big problem this year. He injured his knee in November and in his first game back after that he broken his collarbone.
The Olympics makes for a great motivation to get in shape, but time is ticking away for Gaborik.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)