Jan 17, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Marian Gaborik has been out of action since Dec. 21 with a broken collarbone. His initial diagnosis for recovery was six weeks and time is ticking away for him to get back in action.
Gaborik’s motivation to return as soon as he can includes being named to Team Slovakia for the Olympics and being in the final year of his contract. He tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch he’s not going to rush his way back and put himself in further danger.
“I can’t play if I’m not right,” Gaborik said. “I’m not going to cheat myself, or cheat a team — this team (the Blue Jackets), or an Olympic team. The other thing is, I have to be in shape to play. I obviously can’t just jump into games.”
Gaborik has played in 18 games this season with five goals and 12 points. That’s decent production for how much he’s played, but injuries have been a big problem this year. He injured his knee in November and in his first game back after that he broken his collarbone.
The Olympics makes for a great motivation to get in shape, but time is ticking away for Gaborik.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)