Jan 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray underwent surgery on Friday to relieve arthritis symptoms in his wrist, which he injured in an off-season workout last summer.
“This is a difficult situation for Sheldon and a tough loss for the team. Sheldon has been in pain for quite some time,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a statement released by the club today.
“This surgery was his best course of action in order to alleviate pain and discomfort, and regain full mobility in his wrist. Sheldon’s long-term health is the most important issue right now, and we support his difficult decision to have this surgery.”
Friday’s operation has prompted concerns about whether he will be able to continue his playing career, according to The Orange County Register. Souray, who began his NHL career in 1997 with the New Jersey Devils, will be 38 years of age in July.
It was reported Thursday evening that Souray would undergo wrist surgery, which would end his 2013-14 season before he even played a game.
Souray suffered a torn ligament in his right wrist last summer during an off-ice workout and was originally expected to be out four-to-six months.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)