Jan 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray underwent surgery on Friday to relieve arthritis symptoms in his wrist, which he injured in an off-season workout last summer.
“This is a difficult situation for Sheldon and a tough loss for the team. Sheldon has been in pain for quite some time,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a statement released by the club today.
“This surgery was his best course of action in order to alleviate pain and discomfort, and regain full mobility in his wrist. Sheldon’s long-term health is the most important issue right now, and we support his difficult decision to have this surgery.”
Friday’s operation has prompted concerns about whether he will be able to continue his playing career, according to The Orange County Register. Souray, who began his NHL career in 1997 with the New Jersey Devils, will be 38 years of age in July.
It was reported Thursday evening that Souray would undergo wrist surgery, which would end his 2013-14 season before he even played a game.
Souray suffered a torn ligament in his right wrist last summer during an off-ice workout and was originally expected to be out four-to-six months.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (55)