Jan 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray underwent surgery on Friday to relieve arthritis symptoms in his wrist, which he injured in an off-season workout last summer.
“This is a difficult situation for Sheldon and a tough loss for the team. Sheldon has been in pain for quite some time,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a statement released by the club today.
“This surgery was his best course of action in order to alleviate pain and discomfort, and regain full mobility in his wrist. Sheldon’s long-term health is the most important issue right now, and we support his difficult decision to have this surgery.”
Friday’s operation has prompted concerns about whether he will be able to continue his playing career, according to The Orange County Register. Souray, who began his NHL career in 1997 with the New Jersey Devils, will be 38 years of age in July.
It was reported Thursday evening that Souray would undergo wrist surgery, which would end his 2013-14 season before he even played a game.
Souray suffered a torn ligament in his right wrist last summer during an off-ice workout and was originally expected to be out four-to-six months.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)