Jan 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray underwent surgery on Friday to relieve arthritis symptoms in his wrist, which he injured in an off-season workout last summer.
“This is a difficult situation for Sheldon and a tough loss for the team. Sheldon has been in pain for quite some time,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a statement released by the club today.
“This surgery was his best course of action in order to alleviate pain and discomfort, and regain full mobility in his wrist. Sheldon’s long-term health is the most important issue right now, and we support his difficult decision to have this surgery.”
Friday’s operation has prompted concerns about whether he will be able to continue his playing career, according to The Orange County Register. Souray, who began his NHL career in 1997 with the New Jersey Devils, will be 38 years of age in July.
It was reported Thursday evening that Souray would undergo wrist surgery, which would end his 2013-14 season before he even played a game.
Souray suffered a torn ligament in his right wrist last summer during an off-ice workout and was originally expected to be out four-to-six months.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)