Jan 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray underwent surgery on Friday to relieve arthritis symptoms in his wrist, which he injured in an off-season workout last summer.
“This is a difficult situation for Sheldon and a tough loss for the team. Sheldon has been in pain for quite some time,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a statement released by the club today.
“This surgery was his best course of action in order to alleviate pain and discomfort, and regain full mobility in his wrist. Sheldon’s long-term health is the most important issue right now, and we support his difficult decision to have this surgery.”
Friday’s operation has prompted concerns about whether he will be able to continue his playing career, according to The Orange County Register. Souray, who began his NHL career in 1997 with the New Jersey Devils, will be 38 years of age in July.
It was reported Thursday evening that Souray would undergo wrist surgery, which would end his 2013-14 season before he even played a game.
Souray suffered a torn ligament in his right wrist last summer during an off-ice workout and was originally expected to be out four-to-six months.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 3
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 5
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 8
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 37
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)