Jan 17, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues, Philadelphia Flyers and Vancouver Canucks all suffered defeats on Thursday night, with only Philadelphia — thanks to the shootout — managing to steal a point.
Interestingly, a key member of each clubbed stepped up postgame and said they were responsible for their team’s respective loss. First up is St. Louis’ Jaroslav Halak, who shouldered the blame for a 4-1 home defeat to Los Angeles following this goal from Trevor Lewis:
“I made a mistake at the worst possible time, when the game was on the line for us,” Halak said, per NHL.com. “I’ll take the blame for this one. It’s unacceptable to make a mistake like that, especially in the third period. We lost because of me.”
Next up is another goalie — Philly’s Steve Mason — who allowed three regulation goals, then another three in the shootout against Nashville in an eventual 4-3 defeat.
“The guys gave me two opportunities to win the game, and I couldn’t do it,” he said, per CSN Philly. “So I let them down tonight.”
The Preds actually out-shot the Flyers on the night and were the better team for stretches of the game, but Mason was largely outplayed by Carter Hutton, who turned in a save of the year candidate on Michael Raffl midway through the second period.
Finally, there’s Kesler, who took the brunt of a team-wide slump that’s seen Vancouver score just once in three games. The Canucks lost to the Coyotes 1-0 last night, capping off a terrible road swing in which they lost 9-1 to Anaheim and 1-0 in Los Angeles.
“We had a couple of good looks late in the game, but we’ve got to find a way to score,” said Kesler, per The Province. “It’s getting old. It starts with myself, Hank and Danny. We have to lead the way and we’re not getting it done. The power play was bad tonight. It’s one thing to not score, but we didn’t generate momentum. It pisses you off.
“The trip was horrendous. It was awful. I’m pissed off right now. I need to be better, we need to be better as a group. The way we played pisses you off.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 24
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 21
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 26
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)