Jan 16, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
“Execution wasn’t really there all night long. Weren’t really moving our feet, weren’t attacking, weren’t crisp with our passing. … We weren’t on our toes. We were getting beat to loose pucks to start the game.”
That’s how Mike Yeo saw Tuesday’s 3-0 home loss to Ottawa. Minnesota’s head coach is hoping for a much better effort tonight when the Oilers pay a visit to Xcel Energy Center.
This morning, Yeo said he’d already put Tuesday behind him.
“Yep…it’s Thursday now,” he dead-panned, drawing laughs from reporters.
That said, Tuesday was no one-off. In reality, the Wild have been languishing for over a month. Since beating Chicago on Dec. 5, Minnesota is a disappointing 8-11-0.
Yes, there have been key injuries. And true, they did string together four straight wins recently. But if not for the similar struggles of Phoenix and Dallas, the Wild would likely have fallen out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Earning a win over the Oilers seems even more necessary when you consider the Wild’s remaining schedule this month:
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 1
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 18
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 13
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)