Jan 16, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
“Execution wasn’t really there all night long. Weren’t really moving our feet, weren’t attacking, weren’t crisp with our passing. … We weren’t on our toes. We were getting beat to loose pucks to start the game.”
That’s how Mike Yeo saw Tuesday’s 3-0 home loss to Ottawa. Minnesota’s head coach is hoping for a much better effort tonight when the Oilers pay a visit to Xcel Energy Center.
This morning, Yeo said he’d already put Tuesday behind him.
“Yep…it’s Thursday now,” he dead-panned, drawing laughs from reporters.
That said, Tuesday was no one-off. In reality, the Wild have been languishing for over a month. Since beating Chicago on Dec. 5, Minnesota is a disappointing 8-11-0.
Yes, there have been key injuries. And true, they did string together four straight wins recently. But if not for the similar struggles of Phoenix and Dallas, the Wild would likely have fallen out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Earning a win over the Oilers seems even more necessary when you consider the Wild’s remaining schedule this month:
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)