Jan 16, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
“Execution wasn’t really there all night long. Weren’t really moving our feet, weren’t attacking, weren’t crisp with our passing. … We weren’t on our toes. We were getting beat to loose pucks to start the game.”
That’s how Mike Yeo saw Tuesday’s 3-0 home loss to Ottawa. Minnesota’s head coach is hoping for a much better effort tonight when the Oilers pay a visit to Xcel Energy Center.
This morning, Yeo said he’d already put Tuesday behind him.
“Yep…it’s Thursday now,” he dead-panned, drawing laughs from reporters.
That said, Tuesday was no one-off. In reality, the Wild have been languishing for over a month. Since beating Chicago on Dec. 5, Minnesota is a disappointing 8-11-0.
Yes, there have been key injuries. And true, they did string together four straight wins recently. But if not for the similar struggles of Phoenix and Dallas, the Wild would likely have fallen out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Earning a win over the Oilers seems even more necessary when you consider the Wild’s remaining schedule this month:
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)