Jan 16, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
But now, at the midway point of the season, the Blues are playing a familiar tune in goal.
The Halak-Brian Elliott timeshare is back and kicking, as St. Louis heads into tonight’s game versus L.A. as the only NHL team to have two goalies with at least 13 wins.
It’s something Ken Hitchcock is embracing.
“Brian has played well, Jaro has played really well, both guys deserve to keep playing,” Hitchcock explained, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “So we’re going to keep playing both guys.”
Things weren’t always this way. Halak was the goalie of record in 22 of St. Louis’ first 28 games as the club appeared to be anointing a definitive starter, possibly in the hopes of avoiding the scenario that arose in each of the last two springtimes — a debate over which goalie would start come playoff time.
So Halak was the guy but, as he’s done in years past, Elliott eventually found an opening. And he took full advantage.
Halak fell ill with a virus that gave Elliott the opportunity to start, and he responded by going 6-1-1 in December with a .930 save percentage. The veteran netminder has been equally strong this month (3-1-0, .936 save percentage), earning NHL second star of the week honors on Jan. 6.
Despite all this, it sounds like Blues players believe Halak is still their starting netminder.
“We know that Jaro is our No. 1, but the fact that Brian keeps champing at his heels is good for (Halak),” Kevin Shattenkirk said. “We’re lucky we have two guys that compete and want it so badly, because that only brings good goaltending.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)