Jan 16, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
It was another bruising, physical game between the L.A. Kings and St. Louis Blues.
But a third-period scoring outburst from the Kings turned the battle in their favor, as they defeated the Blues 4-1 on the NHL on NBCSN Thursday night.
The second Lewis goal, a short-handed marker, was perhaps the deciding moment. It came just over two minutes after he provided L.A.’s second goal of the night, and gave the Kings a two-goal lead.
Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak came out to the play the shoot-in, but then let it go after it crossed the goal line. Had he played it, he would’ve been called for a penalty. Lewis picked up the puck, and with Halak out of the net, scored on the wrap around.
Halak took the blame for afterwards.
“You know, the trapezoid, I didn’t want to play the puck. I think I should have. I made a mistake at the worst possible time,” Halak said afterward, as per Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Perhaps one of the more entertaining parts of this hockey game was an interview between whistles that involved Blues’ head coach Ken Hitchcock, who at the time was quite displeased with his team’s effort. That led to a pretty good Anson Carter impersonation of unhappy Hitchcock during the intermission break.
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes errant knee to head 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 1
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 30
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)