Jan 16, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
It was another bruising, physical game between the L.A. Kings and St. Louis Blues.
But a third-period scoring outburst from the Kings turned the battle in their favor, as they defeated the Blues 4-1 on the NHL on NBCSN Thursday night.
The second Lewis goal, a short-handed marker, was perhaps the deciding moment. It came just over two minutes after he provided L.A.’s second goal of the night, and gave the Kings a two-goal lead.
Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak came out to the play the shoot-in, but then let it go after it crossed the goal line. Had he played it, he would’ve been called for a penalty. Lewis picked up the puck, and with Halak out of the net, scored on the wrap around.
Halak took the blame for afterwards.
“You know, the trapezoid, I didn’t want to play the puck. I think I should have. I made a mistake at the worst possible time,” Halak said afterward, as per Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Perhaps one of the more entertaining parts of this hockey game was an interview between whistles that involved Blues’ head coach Ken Hitchcock, who at the time was quite displeased with his team’s effort. That led to a pretty good Anson Carter impersonation of unhappy Hitchcock during the intermission break.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)