Jan 16, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
The second-youngest player named to the Russian Olympic team, Vladimir Tarasenko is still in a state of disbelief.
“I still can’t believe it,” Tarasenko said, per NHL.com. “It’s a dream of everybody in Russia to make the Olympics. The Olympics is the highest point of hockey. I’m so excited right now.”
Of the players on the Russian team, only Dallas’ 18-year-old rookie, Valeri Nichushkin, is younger than Tarasenko who — at age 22 — is enjoying a tremendous sophomore campaign in St. Louis. Tarasenko sits third on the Blues in goals, with 15, and is averaging over 15 minutes a night after getting around 13-and-a-half during his rookie year.
Tarasenko figures to be a key cog for the Russians in Sochi. The team is top-heavy at forward but will need contributions from all four lines, especially when matched up against teams with depth on defense. As for what kind of role Tarasenko will fill? Blues GM Doug Armstrong says he could play one similar to that of his high-energy teammates in St. Louis.
“I said it at the time and I’ll say it again: He’s the Russian version of T.J. Oshie with his attitude,” Armstrong explained. “He’s smiling, happy, loves hockey, wants to be around the rink.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)