Jan 16, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
When Tyler Seguin was traded from Boston to Dallas, amid all the stories about his professionalism (or lack thereof), one of the more under-reported aspects was the Stars’ plan to shift him from the wing to center, which he called his “natural position.”
On the Bruins, there wasn’t the trust that Seguin, barely out of junior, could handle a center’s defensive responsibilities. And given David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron weren’t going anywhere, it made sense to move him to the wing.
With the Stars, however, Seguin has been a center right from the start, playing on the top line with winger Jamie Benn.
“I thought maybe there would’ve been some tougher struggles putting him back in the middle, but he handled the defensive stuff pretty well,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told ESPN.com. “And then on the offensive side he’s been dynamic. He’s been a difference-maker most nights, one of the best shots I’ve seen — quickest, hardest — and he’s an elite skater.”
Still only 21, Seguin has plenty of learning to do. But with 42 points in 44 games, he’s more than holding his own offensively while playing a position that demands more than just natural ability.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)