Jan 16, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
When Tyler Seguin was traded from Boston to Dallas, amid all the stories about his professionalism (or lack thereof), one of the more under-reported aspects was the Stars’ plan to shift him from the wing to center, which he called his “natural position.”
On the Bruins, there wasn’t the trust that Seguin, barely out of junior, could handle a center’s defensive responsibilities. And given David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron weren’t going anywhere, it made sense to move him to the wing.
With the Stars, however, Seguin has been a center right from the start, playing on the top line with winger Jamie Benn.
“I thought maybe there would’ve been some tougher struggles putting him back in the middle, but he handled the defensive stuff pretty well,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told ESPN.com. “And then on the offensive side he’s been dynamic. He’s been a difference-maker most nights, one of the best shots I’ve seen — quickest, hardest — and he’s an elite skater.”
Still only 21, Seguin has plenty of learning to do. But with 42 points in 44 games, he’s more than holding his own offensively while playing a position that demands more than just natural ability.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)