Jan 16, 2014, 4:39 PM EST
When Tyler Seguin was traded from Boston to Dallas, amid all the stories about his professionalism (or lack thereof), one of the more under-reported aspects was the Stars’ plan to shift him from the wing to center, which he called his “natural position.”
On the Bruins, there wasn’t the trust that Seguin, barely out of junior, could handle a center’s defensive responsibilities. And given David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron weren’t going anywhere, it made sense to move him to the wing.
With the Stars, however, Seguin has been a center right from the start, playing on the top line with winger Jamie Benn.
“I thought maybe there would’ve been some tougher struggles putting him back in the middle, but he handled the defensive stuff pretty well,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told ESPN.com. “And then on the offensive side he’s been dynamic. He’s been a difference-maker most nights, one of the best shots I’ve seen — quickest, hardest — and he’s an elite skater.”
Still only 21, Seguin has plenty of learning to do. But with 42 points in 44 games, he’s more than holding his own offensively while playing a position that demands more than just natural ability.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)