Jan 16, 2014, 4:39 PM EST
When Tyler Seguin was traded from Boston to Dallas, amid all the stories about his professionalism (or lack thereof), one of the more under-reported aspects was the Stars’ plan to shift him from the wing to center, which he called his “natural position.”
On the Bruins, there wasn’t the trust that Seguin, barely out of junior, could handle a center’s defensive responsibilities. And given David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron weren’t going anywhere, it made sense to move him to the wing.
With the Stars, however, Seguin has been a center right from the start, playing on the top line with winger Jamie Benn.
“I thought maybe there would’ve been some tougher struggles putting him back in the middle, but he handled the defensive stuff pretty well,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told ESPN.com. “And then on the offensive side he’s been dynamic. He’s been a difference-maker most nights, one of the best shots I’ve seen — quickest, hardest — and he’s an elite skater.”
Still only 21, Seguin has plenty of learning to do. But with 42 points in 44 games, he’s more than holding his own offensively while playing a position that demands more than just natural ability.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)