Jan 16, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
When Tyler Seguin was traded from Boston to Dallas, amid all the stories about his professionalism (or lack thereof), one of the more under-reported aspects was the Stars’ plan to shift him from the wing to center, which he called his “natural position.”
On the Bruins, there wasn’t the trust that Seguin, barely out of junior, could handle a center’s defensive responsibilities. And given David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron weren’t going anywhere, it made sense to move him to the wing.
With the Stars, however, Seguin has been a center right from the start, playing on the top line with winger Jamie Benn.
“I thought maybe there would’ve been some tougher struggles putting him back in the middle, but he handled the defensive stuff pretty well,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told ESPN.com. “And then on the offensive side he’s been dynamic. He’s been a difference-maker most nights, one of the best shots I’ve seen — quickest, hardest — and he’s an elite skater.”
Still only 21, Seguin has plenty of learning to do. But with 42 points in 44 games, he’s more than holding his own offensively while playing a position that demands more than just natural ability.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 4
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)