Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
The ankle injury suffered by Ales Hemsky was serious enough to end his road trip.
On Thursday, the Oilers announced Hemsky had been returned to Edmonton for further evaluation after he was hurt during Tuesday’s 5-2 loss in Dallas. The 30-year-old didn’t play in the third period, finishing with just 11:17 TOI.
As such, Hemsky will likely miss Edmonton’s game tonight in Minnesota and on Saturday in Winnipeg.
Hemsky’s having a decent year — 24 points through 48 games — and there could be plenty of ramifications from this injury. First, there’s the issue of his Olympic participation, as Hemsky was one of the 14 forwards named to the Czech roster 10 days ago.
Two, there’s the trade deadline.
Hemsky rumors are an annual rite of passage at the deadline, thanks in large part to his tantalizing skill and contract status (he was the subject of many rumors in 2012 as a pending UFA, only to ink a two-year extension with the Oilers).
He’s already been linked to the Senators this season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)