Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
The ankle injury suffered by Ales Hemsky was serious enough to end his road trip.
On Thursday, the Oilers announced Hemsky had been returned to Edmonton for further evaluation after he was hurt during Tuesday’s 5-2 loss in Dallas. The 30-year-old didn’t play in the third period, finishing with just 11:17 TOI.
As such, Hemsky will likely miss Edmonton’s game tonight in Minnesota and on Saturday in Winnipeg.
Hemsky’s having a decent year — 24 points through 48 games — and there could be plenty of ramifications from this injury. First, there’s the issue of his Olympic participation, as Hemsky was one of the 14 forwards named to the Czech roster 10 days ago.
Two, there’s the trade deadline.
Hemsky rumors are an annual rite of passage at the deadline, thanks in large part to his tantalizing skill and contract status (he was the subject of many rumors in 2012 as a pending UFA, only to ink a two-year extension with the Oilers).
He’s already been linked to the Senators this season.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)