Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
The ankle injury suffered by Ales Hemsky was serious enough to end his road trip.
On Thursday, the Oilers announced Hemsky had been returned to Edmonton for further evaluation after he was hurt during Tuesday’s 5-2 loss in Dallas. The 30-year-old didn’t play in the third period, finishing with just 11:17 TOI.
As such, Hemsky will likely miss Edmonton’s game tonight in Minnesota and on Saturday in Winnipeg.
Hemsky’s having a decent year — 24 points through 48 games — and there could be plenty of ramifications from this injury. First, there’s the issue of his Olympic participation, as Hemsky was one of the 14 forwards named to the Czech roster 10 days ago.
Two, there’s the trade deadline.
Hemsky rumors are an annual rite of passage at the deadline, thanks in large part to his tantalizing skill and contract status (he was the subject of many rumors in 2012 as a pending UFA, only to ink a two-year extension with the Oilers).
He’s already been linked to the Senators this season.
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 11
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 41
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 21
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 15
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)