Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
The ankle injury suffered by Ales Hemsky was serious enough to end his road trip.
On Thursday, the Oilers announced Hemsky had been returned to Edmonton for further evaluation after he was hurt during Tuesday’s 5-2 loss in Dallas. The 30-year-old didn’t play in the third period, finishing with just 11:17 TOI.
As such, Hemsky will likely miss Edmonton’s game tonight in Minnesota and on Saturday in Winnipeg.
Hemsky’s having a decent year — 24 points through 48 games — and there could be plenty of ramifications from this injury. First, there’s the issue of his Olympic participation, as Hemsky was one of the 14 forwards named to the Czech roster 10 days ago.
Two, there’s the trade deadline.
Hemsky rumors are an annual rite of passage at the deadline, thanks in large part to his tantalizing skill and contract status (he was the subject of many rumors in 2012 as a pending UFA, only to ink a two-year extension with the Oilers).
He’s already been linked to the Senators this season.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)