Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
The ankle injury suffered by Ales Hemsky was serious enough to end his road trip.
On Thursday, the Oilers announced Hemsky had been returned to Edmonton for further evaluation after he was hurt during Tuesday’s 5-2 loss in Dallas. The 30-year-old didn’t play in the third period, finishing with just 11:17 TOI.
As such, Hemsky will likely miss Edmonton’s game tonight in Minnesota and on Saturday in Winnipeg.
Hemsky’s having a decent year — 24 points through 48 games — and there could be plenty of ramifications from this injury. First, there’s the issue of his Olympic participation, as Hemsky was one of the 14 forwards named to the Czech roster 10 days ago.
Two, there’s the trade deadline.
Hemsky rumors are an annual rite of passage at the deadline, thanks in large part to his tantalizing skill and contract status (he was the subject of many rumors in 2012 as a pending UFA, only to ink a two-year extension with the Oilers).
He’s already been linked to the Senators this season.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)