Jan 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Thursday night was all about the masked men at Madison Square.
Mats Zuccarello scored his team-leading 12th goal of the year with less than six minutes remaining to give the Blueshirts the victory but, really, this one was all about Lundqvist and Howard.
The former stopped all 38 shots faced for his third shutout of the season, but might’ve been the second-best netminder on the ice. Howard was nothing short of brilliant for the Wings, stopping 47 of 48 shots — including 35 through the first two periods — and appears to be regaining some of the form that got him a nod at the No. 3 goalie for the U.S. Olympic team.
Speaking of the Olympics, Sweden has to be thrilled at how Lundqvist has turned on his game in recent weeks. He’s given up two goals or less in each of his last five games and now has a save percentage of over .940 for the month of January.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 4
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 11
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)