Jan 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Thursday night was all about the masked men at Madison Square.
Mats Zuccarello scored his team-leading 12th goal of the year with less than six minutes remaining to give the Blueshirts the victory but, really, this one was all about Lundqvist and Howard.
The former stopped all 38 shots faced for his third shutout of the season, but might’ve been the second-best netminder on the ice. Howard was nothing short of brilliant for the Wings, stopping 47 of 48 shots — including 35 through the first two periods — and appears to be regaining some of the form that got him a nod at the No. 3 goalie for the U.S. Olympic team.
Speaking of the Olympics, Sweden has to be thrilled at how Lundqvist has turned on his game in recent weeks. He’s given up two goals or less in each of his last five games and now has a save percentage of over .940 for the month of January.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7