Jan 16, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Reigning Calder Trophy winner Jonathan Huberdeau was parked for the final 17:22 of Florida’s 4-2 win over the Islanders on Tuesday, and acknowledged he saw the move coming.
“I understood why [head coach Peter Horachek] didn’t want me on the ice,” Huberdeau said, per the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “It’s a learning process.
“I’ve been digging a hole, being negative all the time. I just need to keep positive. It’s good that the team is winning.”
Huberdeau, goalless in his last 14 games, had a rough outing against New York, taking a pair of penalties and turning over a puck that led to Thomas Vanek‘s third-period marker.
The 20-year-old center is suffering through a sophomore slump, and his production has fallen off considerably. He won the Calder on the strength of 31 points through the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign but, with just 17 points through 44 games this year, is on pace for 31 again this season — over an 82-game schedule, not 48.
Horachek said the only way Huberdeau was going to see more minutes was through added effort.
“[Huberdeau’s] time is earned, right now he’s going through a tough time,” he explained. “We’re asking him to work harder because he’s feeling the pressure of not scoring.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)