Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
The Isles played without Travis Hamonic for the first time this season in Tuesday’s loss to Florida — and now, it appears they’ll be minus his services for a few more games.
Hamonic has been sent back to Long Island to have his upper-body injury evaluated, according to Newsday. This puts his availability for the remainder of the Isles’ road trip in doubt; the team plays tonight in Tampa Bay and Saturday in Philly before returning home on Monday for a return date against the Flyers.
Hamonic, 23, averages 24:57 per game and leads all Isles defensemen in hits (67), sitting third in blocked shots (82).
“Losing a guy that’s played 25 minutes, that’s a huge loss for our hockey team,” Head coach Jack Capuano said prior to the Panthers loss, per NHL.com. “We’re going to have to make some adjustments as the game goes on, there’s no question.”
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, it’s unclear exactly what’s ailing Hamonic:
Hamonic left Sunday’s game in Dallas after two periods with what the Islanders believed was an illness. After flying here [to Florida] and resting up, Hamonic is now said to be suffering from an upper-body injury, causing him to miss last night’s game here.
The Islanders gave no further details, but there is reason for concern that Hamonic’s illness symptoms could also have been signs of a concussion.
Hamonic doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)