Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
The Isles played without Travis Hamonic for the first time this season in Tuesday’s loss to Florida — and now, it appears they’ll be minus his services for a few more games.
Hamonic has been sent back to Long Island to have his upper-body injury evaluated, according to Newsday. This puts his availability for the remainder of the Isles’ road trip in doubt; the team plays tonight in Tampa Bay and Saturday in Philly before returning home on Monday for a return date against the Flyers.
Hamonic, 23, averages 24:57 per game and leads all Isles defensemen in hits (67), sitting third in blocked shots (82).
“Losing a guy that’s played 25 minutes, that’s a huge loss for our hockey team,” Head coach Jack Capuano said prior to the Panthers loss, per NHL.com. “We’re going to have to make some adjustments as the game goes on, there’s no question.”
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, it’s unclear exactly what’s ailing Hamonic:
Hamonic left Sunday’s game in Dallas after two periods with what the Islanders believed was an illness. After flying here [to Florida] and resting up, Hamonic is now said to be suffering from an upper-body injury, causing him to miss last night’s game here.
The Islanders gave no further details, but there is reason for concern that Hamonic’s illness symptoms could also have been signs of a concussion.
Hamonic doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)