Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
The Isles played without Travis Hamonic for the first time this season in Tuesday’s loss to Florida — and now, it appears they’ll be minus his services for a few more games.
Hamonic has been sent back to Long Island to have his upper-body injury evaluated, according to Newsday. This puts his availability for the remainder of the Isles’ road trip in doubt; the team plays tonight in Tampa Bay and Saturday in Philly before returning home on Monday for a return date against the Flyers.
Hamonic, 23, averages 24:57 per game and leads all Isles defensemen in hits (67), sitting third in blocked shots (82).
“Losing a guy that’s played 25 minutes, that’s a huge loss for our hockey team,” Head coach Jack Capuano said prior to the Panthers loss, per NHL.com. “We’re going to have to make some adjustments as the game goes on, there’s no question.”
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, it’s unclear exactly what’s ailing Hamonic:
Hamonic left Sunday’s game in Dallas after two periods with what the Islanders believed was an illness. After flying here [to Florida] and resting up, Hamonic is now said to be suffering from an upper-body injury, causing him to miss last night’s game here.
The Islanders gave no further details, but there is reason for concern that Hamonic’s illness symptoms could also have been signs of a concussion.
Hamonic doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 61
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (62)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)