Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
The Isles played without Travis Hamonic for the first time this season in Tuesday’s loss to Florida — and now, it appears they’ll be minus his services for a few more games.
Hamonic has been sent back to Long Island to have his upper-body injury evaluated, according to Newsday. This puts his availability for the remainder of the Isles’ road trip in doubt; the team plays tonight in Tampa Bay and Saturday in Philly before returning home on Monday for a return date against the Flyers.
Hamonic, 23, averages 24:57 per game and leads all Isles defensemen in hits (67), sitting third in blocked shots (82).
“Losing a guy that’s played 25 minutes, that’s a huge loss for our hockey team,” Head coach Jack Capuano said prior to the Panthers loss, per NHL.com. “We’re going to have to make some adjustments as the game goes on, there’s no question.”
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, it’s unclear exactly what’s ailing Hamonic:
Hamonic left Sunday’s game in Dallas after two periods with what the Islanders believed was an illness. After flying here [to Florida] and resting up, Hamonic is now said to be suffering from an upper-body injury, causing him to miss last night’s game here.
The Islanders gave no further details, but there is reason for concern that Hamonic’s illness symptoms could also have been signs of a concussion.
Hamonic doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny 0
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52