Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
The Isles played without Travis Hamonic for the first time this season in Tuesday’s loss to Florida — and now, it appears they’ll be minus his services for a few more games.
Hamonic has been sent back to Long Island to have his upper-body injury evaluated, according to Newsday. This puts his availability for the remainder of the Isles’ road trip in doubt; the team plays tonight in Tampa Bay and Saturday in Philly before returning home on Monday for a return date against the Flyers.
Hamonic, 23, averages 24:57 per game and leads all Isles defensemen in hits (67), sitting third in blocked shots (82).
“Losing a guy that’s played 25 minutes, that’s a huge loss for our hockey team,” Head coach Jack Capuano said prior to the Panthers loss, per NHL.com. “We’re going to have to make some adjustments as the game goes on, there’s no question.”
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, it’s unclear exactly what’s ailing Hamonic:
Hamonic left Sunday’s game in Dallas after two periods with what the Islanders believed was an illness. After flying here [to Florida] and resting up, Hamonic is now said to be suffering from an upper-body injury, causing him to miss last night’s game here.
The Islanders gave no further details, but there is reason for concern that Hamonic’s illness symptoms could also have been signs of a concussion.
Hamonic doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)