Jan 16, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Even though his team has an NHL-high nine victories in the shootout, Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis would like to see fewer games decided in the breakaway competition.
“As much as we’re having success in the shootout, I still believe that I’d like to end the game by playing a game,” Nonis said Thursday on TSN 1050 radio. “So 4-on-4, 3-on-3, those are things we see throughout the course of the season and regular hockey. So for me, if we could get to that, I would still prefer to go to 3-on-3 before the shootout.”
The Washington Capitals are another team that’s done well in the shootout this season. Similarly, that doesn’t mean their head coach, Adam Oates, likes games decided that way.
“I don’t believe in them,” Oates said late last year. “I know the fans like it, but that’s because it has kind of a carnival effect. I mean, I get it. It’s in the rules, but maybe because I never played with it, I don’t really like it very much.”
We touched on the shootout extensively in this week’s Chip ‘n’ Chase, so if you haven’t already, please do give it a read.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (60)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)