Ben Scrivens loses debut for Oilers

Jan 16, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

It was his first game action in exactly two weeks. It was his debut for the Edmonton Oilers.

The night did not go according to plan for goalie Ben Scrivens, who was acquired in a trade with the L.A. Kings on Wednesday and thrown into the crease the following night against the Minnesota Wild.

Scrivens allowed four goals on 33 shots and the Oilers lost to the Wild by a final score of 4-1. Minnesota scored three unanswered goals, including a pair just two minutes and 12 seconds apart late in the second period, to break open a tied hockey game.

Not the start Scrivens was hoping for, as he joins the team he remembers cheering for as a kid growing up in Edmonton.

“I thought he was solid for the most part… I know he would have liked that second one back, but overall he was good,” said Edmonton’s head coach Dallas Eakins after the game.

Sophomore forward Nail Yakupov left the game after the second period and did not return with what the club called a head injury. There was no further update on him afterward.

1. namriverrat69 - Jan 17, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I like you Ben just liike I liked Jonathan Bernier. The problem lies in the fact that playing behind Toronto’s defense is a whole different animal than playing behind the LA Kings. After tonight I’m sure you can attest to that difference. I wish you luck and I’m sure you will win your share of games but yoiu can’t deny you miss the LA Kings defence playing in front of you.

All the best to you Ben.

GO KINGS GO!!

• cofran2004 - Jan 17, 2014 at 7:25 AM

….good thing he doesn’t play for toronto.

2. nicofthenorthstar - Jan 17, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Hey genius, he plays for Edmonton. Not Toronto.
    But thanks for your pointless Kings screed on an article that does not involve the Kings.

• bencia823 - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM

he was talking about Bernier’s troubles, and considering the fact that the article is about a player who was just traded from the Kings, I’d say that they are relevant to the article

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Yep. What bencia823 said.

3. travishenryskid - Jan 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM

But Bernier has been really good for the Leafs…

4. jhmiddleton81 - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Bernier has been awesome with the Leafs…… but that is besides the point, if anyone saw the highlights of the Oilers game, my goodness, he got absolutely ZERO help last night of the 4 goals scored, 3 of them would have been goals on nearly every other NHL goalie, never realized how truly awful the Oilers are, I mean as a Leafs fan, their defensive deficiencies looked worse than my Leafs!

5. flash8910 - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ben is missing the Kings D already.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches