Jan 16, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Alex Tanguay is making another significant step in his comeback attempt.
Tanguay, who hasn’t played since Nov. 2, will resume full practice with Colorado on Friday, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie. This comes just days after Tanguay began practicing with the Avs in a non-contact capacity, with head coach Patrick Roy saying the veteran was going at “60 or 70 percent.”
Tanguay, 34, had his season put in jeopardy after suffering a setback while recovering from his original knee injury — it’s how he injured his hip — and, five weeks ago, Roy said the situation regarding the veteran’s health was “not good.”
Acquired from Calgary this offseason, Tanguay started the campaign by scoring nine points in his first 13 games and provided a spark in returning to the organization he won a Cup with back in 2001. The hope is to get him back at some point, and have his experience and veteran leadership available for the playoffs (or, a playoff push.)
“I don’t want to put any exact (date) on things. But he’s going to play again I think,” Roy said in late December.
Should Tanguay resume full practice tomorrow, it’s possible he could return to the lineup next week — the Avs host Toronto on Tuesday, then play in Florida next Friday.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 14
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)