Jan 15, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
A couple of tweets has the interwebs buzzing about a possible trade involving Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward:
Hearing Cam Ward is in play. Oilers have inquired about him, but is a deal close? Stay tuned—
Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) January 15, 2014
Cam Ward trade is possible, but Carolina requires great return to consider in-season. He should return to action next week.—
Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) January 15, 2014
Ward is currently on injured reserve with a lower-body ailment. The 29-year-old former Conn Smythe Trophy winner has struggled this season (6-7-5, .895 save percentage); however, his career .910 save percentage in 450 appearances could garner some interest.
Signed through 2015-16, Ward’s contract is big in terms of salary and cap hit — per CapGeek, his hit ranks fifth among all NHL goalies — but small in remaining term.
Related: Will Khudobin or Peters be traded?
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36