Jan 15, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
A couple of tweets has the interwebs buzzing about a possible trade involving Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward:
Hearing Cam Ward is in play. Oilers have inquired about him, but is a deal close? Stay tuned—
Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) January 15, 2014
Cam Ward trade is possible, but Carolina requires great return to consider in-season. He should return to action next week.—
Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) January 15, 2014
Ward is currently on injured reserve with a lower-body ailment. The 29-year-old former Conn Smythe Trophy winner has struggled this season (6-7-5, .895 save percentage); however, his career .910 save percentage in 450 appearances could garner some interest.
Signed through 2015-16, Ward’s contract is big in terms of salary and cap hit — per CapGeek, his hit ranks fifth among all NHL goalies — but small in remaining term.
Related: Will Khudobin or Peters be traded?
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)