Jan 15, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
A couple of tweets has the interwebs buzzing about a possible trade involving Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward:
Hearing Cam Ward is in play. Oilers have inquired about him, but is a deal close? Stay tuned—
Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) January 15, 2014
Cam Ward trade is possible, but Carolina requires great return to consider in-season. He should return to action next week.—
Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) January 15, 2014
Ward is currently on injured reserve with a lower-body ailment. The 29-year-old former Conn Smythe Trophy winner has struggled this season (6-7-5, .895 save percentage); however, his career .910 save percentage in 450 appearances could garner some interest.
Signed through 2015-16, Ward’s contract is big in terms of salary and cap hit — per CapGeek, his hit ranks fifth among all NHL goalies — but small in remaining term.
Related: Will Khudobin or Peters be traded?
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63