Jan 15, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby will have another new linemate tonight when the Penguins host the Capitals.
This time it’s Brandon Sutter, normally Pittsburgh’s third-line center, who will play on the right side with Crosby and Chris Kunitz. That job formerly belonged to Pascal Dupuis before he was lost for what’s likely to be the rest of the season.
Per NHL.com, Sutter will be the fifth right-winger to try out on the Pens’ top line in the last nine games.
“I think it’s obviously a new look,” Crosby said. “Given the situation, the circumstances here, we have a lot of guys playing different roles. We have to find a way. [Sutter] is a smart player and I’m sure he’ll find a way to adjust.”
Nick Drazenovic is expected to take Sutter’s 3C spot.
None of this will help quell the speculation that general manager Ray Shero will try to land a replacement for Dupuis before the March 5 deadline. If Sutter finds some chemistry on the top line, maybe Shero goes out and gets another third-line center (we mentioned Olli Jokinen‘s name yesterday on PHT Extra, though that’s pure speculation with regards to the Pens), instead of a top-six winger.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)