Jan 15, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby will have another new linemate tonight when the Penguins host the Capitals.
This time it’s Brandon Sutter, normally Pittsburgh’s third-line center, who will play on the right side with Crosby and Chris Kunitz. That job formerly belonged to Pascal Dupuis before he was lost for what’s likely to be the rest of the season.
Per NHL.com, Sutter will be the fifth right-winger to try out on the Pens’ top line in the last nine games.
“I think it’s obviously a new look,” Crosby said. “Given the situation, the circumstances here, we have a lot of guys playing different roles. We have to find a way. [Sutter] is a smart player and I’m sure he’ll find a way to adjust.”
Nick Drazenovic is expected to take Sutter’s 3C spot.
None of this will help quell the speculation that general manager Ray Shero will try to land a replacement for Dupuis before the March 5 deadline. If Sutter finds some chemistry on the top line, maybe Shero goes out and gets another third-line center (we mentioned Olli Jokinen‘s name yesterday on PHT Extra, though that’s pure speculation with regards to the Pens), instead of a top-six winger.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)